cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing User Logins and Passwords

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was trying to get the change password function to work for a B2B user under the MyAccount> My Profile Change password and couldn't. Whilst this basic question remains I am still struggling to understand what is possible and what is not with the current release.

I am aware that there have been prior discussions on this subject but feel that it would be of benefit to all - especially new members if a brief summary could be prepared ( perhaps a wiki?) in tabular form to explain for each type of user (not sure if needed) and synch method what is and is not possible in terms of the user or the administrator changing the login and / or password and also whether this is possible in the Webtools Interface or the B1 interface.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geoff,

Hopefully this change has made things easier, not more complicated.

The problem with login before, was that the primary key of the User table (UserID) was being used as the login. Because this field is referenced by a number of other tables, changing the login had fairly high possibility of causing data corruption if any of the dependant data was not correctly updated.

To resolve this, the LoginName field was added to the Users table and is now the field used for login. This field has no dependancies, so it can be changed at any time. In admin, the login name is changed on the security tab of the user form. On the customer facing side, the "Change Password" form under My Account->My Profile has a textbox to change the login.

There is no way to change a login or password from Business One. These are set when the Webtools user is first created using the Contact Synch Field for UserID and Login Name and Password Algorithm to set the Webtools password. This has not changed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shane,

Thanks for that

There is potentially a lot of ground to cover in this subject. Can I take things one at a time ?

In relation to your reply - just one exception ( I think )

For SBO internal users it IS possible to change the password by changing the 'Web Password' UDF in Admin>Setup>General>users and then synching. It is however not possible to change the login

I currently have synch method set to email address

For internal SalesPersons (existing and new) the Synch process initially populates the loginname and password with the name or names entered in B1

The login and password cannot be changed from B1

The login and the password can be changed in Webtools Admin> Users>Security Tab but causes a synch failure.( OUSR does not have a valid mapping to NetPoint)

The login can be changed in MyAccount>My Profile>Change Password but forces a password change as well.

At the end of this process the password is not changed and the changes result in the same synch error

Is this because there is no equivalent field in B1 to store a SalesPerson's email address? In which case which other synch method ensures that an Internal SalesPersons loginname and password changes do not cause this failure?

In any event I cannot seem to be able to change the Internal SalesPersons Password Using the Customer Facing forms in Webtools.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shane,

We are using the b1 contact internal code as the userid, which has been working fine in general. However, I have just noticed that part of our internal procedures is to upgrade a lead BP to a customer BP, simply by changing the cardcode of the BP. This results in the contact/user getting a userid of: internal code _1

This means that an unfriendly userid just got much worse!.

From what you have said in your post it sounds as though we can have a friendly lookup for the userid?.

If so, which patch is this available in?.

Presumably this still has to be unique so is there a check done by the system when the customer enters their choice for login id?.

Hopefully my newly discovered problem has a newly discovered solution ready and waiting!.

Thanks.

Martin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

This was added in p10.

So get p11 or p12 (as p10 has a huge connection leak bug).

And, yes, there is a check for unique login name. The UI for this may be a bit crude yet, so you will probably want to poke it with a stick a few times to see if it works for you.

It should be better than your current option

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats great news Shane!.

We did in fact have a few B2B customers complaining that they could not select their own logins, and they did not appreciate my arguments concerning unique userids and synchid's!.

We plan on upgrading to patch 12 hopefully this side of Christmas.

Thanks again.

Martin.

Answers (0)