cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define material code

Former Member
0 Kudos

our's is a valve mfg co. We are planning to go for sap. In sap Max length of material code is 18 and description is 40. But our existing material code maximum length is 25 and description length is 120.

I want to know, Is there any other way that they will going to handle these type of material code and description.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member335885
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is not at all possible to have your requirement in Standard SAP system.

You have 2 options one is to do a development with the help of the abapers or you have to convence the client / business to have a change at the material codes and material descriptions.

You can enter material descriptions in the Text views in the MMR.

For material code in case if you want the full length then it is better to slit into 2 different entites and have 18 character material code and the remaining in a free text field. which is not recommended

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

is any body of you have industrial valve mfg sample material code and description which will fit in sap module i.e. material code 18 and matl description 40

Former Member
0 Kudos

We faced a same problem.

For material description, we used a short description in the "description field" and store the complete description in "Basic Data Text" in "Basic Data 1" tab.

For field length of material number, I don't think there is a way out other than accomodating in 18 characters.

former_member192897
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But our existing material code maximum length is 25

As Per SAP Standard, Maximum length of the material number that can be entered or displayed is 18 Charecters. It includes all editing characters (that is, punctuation marks such as hyphens and commas).

What is the Business Requirement to Use More than 18 Charecters which is not possible in SAP.

I think you should go for Big Development.

>description length is 120.

You Can Store the Long Material Despcription in Purchase Order Text Tabs which further can be Reading / Retrieving using STXH & STXL Tables.

Regards,

Ashok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition to Material description of 40 characters, you can also maintain Purchase Order text, which can very well accomplish your requirement. But the material code can be only to a maximum of 18 Characters

Regards

Merwyn