cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making two instances of data insight run on the same machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any way so that two instances of data insight GUI can be executed on the same machine. By default Data insight allows only one instance.

The need is there because our team is spread across globe and it is difficult to install gui for everyone.

Any help would be appreciated.

regards

Girish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data insight engine can have only one instance per machine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data Insight supports multiple engines on one machine, however each engine must have a unique metadata repository.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steps using Terminal Services or Enterprise option, Citrix:

1. Data Insight engine/report exporting engine and GUI installed by the admin user.

2. Data Insight engine setup as a service or started by an admin user

3. Data Insight report exporting engine is installed as a service by the admin user.

4. the admin user can disconnect - but they can not log off since that will stop all Data Insight services

5. Individual users can then log on with their own id and run the GUI using the same repository and same engine.

The key to this install is that the admin user installs and starts the engine and report exporting engine services, while the individual user ids use the GUI only. Also key is to have the limit allowed access to the terminal service take into account the actual GUI users.

Note: Each usage of the GUI uses a license.

Regards,

Bev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Girish,

I haven't used this product myself, but the same issue occurs with Data Integrator. To overcome this (I'm assuming you're working on a Windows OS), simply create another Windows user with the same rights as the original user account.

The next step is to create a separate shortcut where you enable the process to run as a different user (right-click > properties). When you apply these changes to the shortcut, it will ask you for the credentials the next time you start it. Simply enter the logon credentials for the new user, and you'll see that a second GUI pops up.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Kristof

scott_broadway
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kristof,

I must strongly caution that multiple instances of the Data Integrator Designer should never be run on a single machine unless the machine has Citrix Presentation Server, and the DI Citrix documentation is used to execute the process under different users. I believe that the recommendation above regarding Data Insight is also pertinent, though I am not experienced enough with that product to comment on the impact of running two Data Insight instances on a single machine.

Thanks,

~Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data Insight supports only one GUI installation per machine. The user can switch between metadata repositories using the GUI menu option File | Change Metadata Repository Location.