cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XL Reporter and Excel Charts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a report definition which reports the stock on hand in each warehouse, at the end of each month for the previous 12 months. It uses expanding rows for the warehouses.

I want to chart this with each warehouse as a series showing the trend by warehouse over the last 12 months.

I can't seem to get the chart to work, as it won't expand the number of series when the report generates.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closed as I have too many open questions to post a new one!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julie,

When you define the 'data range' (the cells to be charted), grab 1 extra row. So if your expanding group is on row 10, build your chart to include rows 10 & 11 (row 11 can be blank). That way, as row 10 expands to list all the possible warehouses, row 11 gets 'pushed' ahead, stretching the data range along with it.

Use this approach with caution -- if it expands more than you anticipate, charts can get really ugly!!

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I have tried this, but it doesn't work. As I am trying to do a line chart where each row is a series, or a line in the chart, Excel doesn't seem to want to add new series to the chart as it expands.

I have lots of charts working really well in other situations, but this one just doesn't want to work!

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the line on your chart depends on expandable series, you may add the range as one column right to the expandible part.

What results do you get? Just an empty chart?

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

You have to put the chart on top left of the worksheet. In other words. The chart area has to be independent with the expandable parts so that can be in the fixed position.

Thanks,

Gordon