cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing DB2 as data source from BO XI R2 SP3 on Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're an Oracle shop, but recently were asked to use a DB2 database for a data source. We're running BO XI R2, SP3 on Windows 2003 Server. We understand that DB2 is running on MVS. My question is, what version of DB2 connect do I need to install on my Windows 2003 Server, so that DB2 can be used as a data source? For example, we want to use Universe Designer to build a universe to point to DB2. Also, we're going to want to use Desktop Intelligence from Windows XP clients , to hit DB2 as well. So, I imagine DB2 Connect (version 9, personal edition?) will have to be installed on the client too. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Or, if you can point me to the right doc or .pdf, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

James Gilbert

MillerCoors

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

James,

You may want to download PAR document from the business Objects SAP portal. Below is some detail for XIR2 PAR for DB2 supported platforms:

IBM DB2/UDB for iSeries 5.2

DB2 Client 8.1

DB2 ODBC Cli 8.1

IBM iSeries Access (ODBC) 5.2

IBM DB2/UDB for iSeries 5.3

DB2 Client 8.2

DB2 ODBC Cli 8.2

IBM iSeries Access (ODBC) 5.3

Also, you will have to have the same connectivity on the server and on the machines with Deski or Designer.

Kashif

Edited by: Kashif Saeed on Sep 16, 2008 10:20 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kashif,

Thanks for pointing me to the PAR. That's what I needed. (I'm a bit rusty as a Sytem Administrator - I used to know about the PAR.

Okay, so after your tip, Kashif, I found the Supported Platforms .pdf for BO XI R2, with SP3...and I noticed that there's no specific mention of the MVS platform for DB2.

Instead, just like you pointed out in your reply, there's mention of the following DB2 platforms:

IBM DB2/UDB for NT/UNIX 8.1

IBM DB2/UDB for NT/UNIX 8.2

IBM DB2/UDB for NT/UNIX/LINUX 9.1

IBM DB2/UDB for zSeries 7

IBM DB2/UDB for zSeries 8

IBM DB2 OLAP Server 8.2

IBM DB2/UDB for iSeries 5.2

IBM DB2/UDB for iSeries 5.3

Does anyone know if BO can talk to DB2 on MVS?

I suppose I could just ask the Sys Admin to install DB2 Connect v9 Personal Edition...on our dev Windows 2003 Server, and see what happens.

Thanks,

James Gilbert

MillerCoors

Former Member
0 Kudos

I haven't worked on DB2 on MVS myself but I know that people used business Objects version 5 and version 6 with DB2 on MVS. I am sure XI would also have the connectivity for it.

I'll post a link if I find some useful information.

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Concerning datasource for IBM DB2/UDB for iSeries 5.3, we have a problem in webI to use the universe , but not in designer using deski.

Perhaps is what you explained we have to create the same connexion and use the same pilote on the PC and on the server.

I don't know what the PAR is and where to find it?

Error message : wis 10901 : pilote not found and pilote name not specified.

Thank's to help

Ida Carapelle

ROI