cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Object Ownership - change to DBO?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a DBA, not a Business Objects person. We have a Business Objects XI R2 installation running on MS SQl Server 200 SP4. There are a number of objects created in the Business Objects databases (not the user databases) that were created by either the installation and or subsequent where the owner of the database and tables are set to bo_user.tablename instead of dbo.tablename. I have been tasked with migrating all database objects to be owned by the dbo schema. What pitfalls do I need to watch outfor within business objects when I change the object ownership underneath the business objects platform. Or is there a way to do it via the Business Objects front end?

Some examples:

Database Object Owner

bobj_XIR2 CMS_InfoObjects5 bo_user

bobj_XIR2 CMS_Aliases5 bo_user

bobj_XIR2 CMS_IdNumbers5 bo_user

bobj_XIR2 CMS_VersionInfo bo_user

bobj_XIR2 CMS_RELATIONS5 bo_user

BusinessObjectsMetadata ci_ext_security bo_user

BusinessObjectsMetadata set_sync bo_user

BusinessObjectsMetadata set_profile bo_user

BusinessObjectsMetadata ipm_aclpolicy bo_user

Thanks!

David Hay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

I can give you the Business Objects side of the picture so that you can connect the dots. When Business Objects is installed, it creats the repository. Normally a generic user-id is used on the database side with rights to create, drop, append, insert, and select on the database. In past, i have asked for generic id's to be given dbo rights on the database for this purpose.

The database user-id and password is entered in CMS (a business Objects service) which inserts and updates the database when new users are created and stuff. This user id also reads the database for rights and stuff.

Now, if you are to change the ownership of the tables to dbo, the Business Objects CMS credentials need to be updated with the dbo credentials.

I have not done anything similar, but logically, I don't see any issue with changing it to dbo as long as you change the CMS to use dbo credentials.

Hope this helps.

Kashif

Edited by: Kashif Saeed on Sep 16, 2008 9:42 PM

Edited by: Kashif Saeed on Sep 16, 2008 9:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up. The user has DBO rights within the database, but it still defines each object within the bo_user schema. Is there a setting to make/force it to create things as DBO.tablename?

Thanks again!

David Hay

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not aware of any settings on the Business Objects side that enforces the tables to be created under dbo. There might be a setting on your end to restrict/assign the tablespace. Since in your case the tables already exist, I don't think (even if there is) a setting may have helped.

Also, these tables are only created once at the time of install. Daily usage of the repository does not create new tables, unless an upgrade is done (some upgrades may create new tables).

Hope this helps.

Kashif

Answers (0)