cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound Service Interface without Input Request Message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to create an Inbound Service Interface without Input Request Message? We are trying to create a web service to get all records from a database table hence no input parameter is needed. We have tried in both XI 7.0 and PI 7.1 but couldn't do it. Is this scenario not supported by ESR or am I missing something? Any hint will be appreciated.

Regards,

Jiannan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Jin,

For some reasons.. this is not possible. An interface requires all the message types and a message type can not be created without a data type. One work around for this was, to create a dummy data type with a single field with 0..1 occurance and publish the interface..!!

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

Thanks for confirming that this is not possible. I understand that we can put a dummy data element in the request message. Then this can be mis-leading for the service consumer.

I would think this is a bug in ESR. I do not see why ESR wants to implement this constraint. Hope someone from the ESR product team can educate me if I am missing something.

Regards,

Jiannan

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with you. But the ESR object relationship says that... messages and data types are 1..1 related not 1..(0..1)..

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>get all records from a database table hence no input parameter is needed

I m not really sure why you dont need input parameters while defining Service interface?

Won't you need a structure in the same format as the database table?

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the scenario I described in my initial post the table structure is only needed in the response message to receive the data.

For a web service generated from a RFC function module using the service creation wizard (SE80) a table parameter is automatically included in the request message. I can understand this as the wizard can not figure out if the table parameter is needed in the request message or not.

I have tried to use the service creation wizard to generate a web service from the function module RFCPING that has no input or output parameters. As shown in below WSDL segment the WSDL does allow not having any input or output parameters.

- <wsdl:types>
- <xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="urn:sap-com:document:sap:soap:functions:mc-style">
- <xsd:element name="Rfcping">
- <xsd:complexType>
  <xsd:sequence /> 
  </xsd:complexType>
  </xsd:element>
- <xsd:element name="RfcpingResponse">
- <xsd:complexType>
  <xsd:sequence /> 
  </xsd:complexType>
  </xsd:element>
  </xsd:schema>
  </wsdl:types>