cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The request could not be submitted for background error with Crystal 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

am using crystal report 10 with oracle 10g database. Application is is developed on vissual studio.net 2005 (vb.net). Reports are launched from vb.net application.

This application is installed on laptops with oracle personal database(10g personal) and on the desktop that uses oracle 10g. Desktop report works fine never had any problem. Only problem I am experiancing is form the laptop. Like I said same report works some times and fails some times with above error. It only fails form the laptop. Never fails form desktop application.

I am having crystal report problem. All reports works fine except one report some times get an error as follow.

"The request could not be submitted for background processes"

I believe when I have null values in one of the subreport this error comes up.When I change the value from null to something else it works. If values are null it should hide the section where subreports is called.

I don't know where to look for this problem since it always works form desk top and fails on laptop.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Follow these steps:

Since it always works form desk top and fails on the laptop, it will be a good idea to compare the dlls loading on the two systems. Download the modules utility from here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip

then,

1) Unzip the above file

2) On your dev system, run your app and process a report - leave the app running

3) Start modules

4) Go to the File menu and select New List -> Memory Modules

5) Save the file as good.mdl

6) Repeat above steps on the slow computer

7) Save the file as slow.mdl

😎 Expand the "By Process" node and find your app exe

9) Click on the app exe - this will populate the right pane with all the dlls loaded by your app

10) Go to the View menu and select Details. This will show you the version of the dlls loaded

You can compare these manually or let Modules compare for you (Module menu, select Differences)

Ludek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There, I am using Crystal Reports XI v2 on Windows XP in combination with Business Objects Enterprise on a Windows NT server and I had the same problem: Error in File C:\Filename.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing.

I had never seen this problem before and I have a fleet of Crystal Reports running on the Business Objects schedule perfectly ranging in complexity from simple to straight out confusing. This one report was working fine if exported to PDF however as soon as I tried to export it using CSV format then either my Crystal Reports would die or the BO scheduler would return the above error.

After searching a few forums I figured I should do some investigation of my own as this error potentially has multiple causes. I employed simple trial and error methodology. I generated the report in Crystal and saved the report file u2018with datau2019 so that when Crystal died I could open the report again and not have to rerun it (to save time). I started by u2018suppressingu2019 all the sections of the report except for the main section where all the data was contained and then tried exporting the limited report in CSV format and it worked. Thus the main section of the report was not the issue. One by one I unsuppressed each section and exported in CSV until I found the section which was causing the error.

The cause of the error was the section with all my sub-reports (one of the eight sub-reports)! So I employed the same method as above (suppressed all sub-reports, then unsuppressed each one in turn and exported CSV file to determine which sub-report was causing the error). Once I found the single sub-report that was causing the error I noticed that some of the values my sub-report was producing were NULL values and I suspected this was the cause. I removed the NULL values from the sub-report, re-imported it into the main report (linking it using the same field) and proceeded to export the file in CSV format. I then saved the Crystal Report to the BO server and triggered the schedule in CSV format and everything worked out fine. Success!

As it was all working I did not investigate further so do not know the true cause of the problem but I would advise trial and error investigation isolating different sections of the report to determine which is causing the problem, then either remove, replace or recreate this section.