cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem setting bar chart width with conditional formula

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please help me with how to conditionally set the width of a bar chart that is sourced from a cross-tab?

I have a bar chart that has a cross-tab data source with months as the group (X) axis. The cross-tab width changes as the number of months increases or decreases, but the chart width does not change. I need the chart width to change along with the cross-tab width. I have tried setting the chart width in a conditional formula (units of measure are inches) in the size and positioin dialogue, but the changes do not affect the chart width. I have tried using constant values in the formula and they do not change the chart width either. I can only get the chart width to change if I modify the width value (not using a formula), but that will not conditionally change the width.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was informed that the width formula is calculated in twips (1440 twips=1 inch). I was using such a small number (5, 6, 7, etc) that is appeared to be ignoring my formula. When I change to 500, 600 etc. the width of the chart does change now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for responding Pradeep. I understand that the cross tab width is dynamic. My issue is how to size the bar chart accordingly. Since I am able to determine the number of months returned in the query result set, I should be able to use the size and position formula for the bar chart. However, it seems that "any" formulas I enter in the formula do not get applied. I have tried entering a numeric value for the formula (for example 6.700), and the chart width does not change. It will only change width when I enter a value in the Width field, not the formula. It will also not allow me to remove the value in the Width field - I tried this to see if the formula would override the missing value set there, but no luck. Perhaps there is a flag I need to set somewhere that I have missed?

Thanks - Rob Greenlaw

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This is to inform you that:

1) In a cross tab the width is not fixed, it is dynamic and hence the option of width and height is grayed out. Also a cross tab generates virtual pages by itself depending on the data in it.

2) Chart shows different sets of data suited to a certain chart type.

In case of a bar chart, its width cannot be changed based on the width of the cross-tab, because the cross-tab width is unknown as the width option is grayed out. You can use the size and position option and use the formula behind it to change the width depending on any value of fields but not the width of a cross tab.

Cross tab spans itself on multiple virtual pages.

But Chart is an object which do not expand by its own.

Please let me know in case if you have any queries.

Thanks

Pradeep Hulke