Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP EHS in Sugar/power Sector

akash_agrawal5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey Fellas,

I am implemeting IHS and OH at my client site. Our Client is active in Sugar, Energy and Infrastructure sectors in Indian Market only. For the next phase of project I am trying to explore the scope of other EHS components (WM, PS, DG) in sugar/power manufacturing/creation process, but have not been able to find any hardcore Law/regulation in India to

support it.

Has anyone worked for this kinda client?

Can I be told about some business scenarios on sugar, power, distillery, ethanol process where SAP EHS can be implemented?

Regards,

Akash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akash,

I am able to give reasonable inforamtion on sugar, power, cement and associated service industries. Pl. clarify more on the exact thing u r looking for. Starting from foundation, establishment to environmental regulations applicable to this kind of activities.

mahesh

+91-98491-56517.

akash_agrawal5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

I am looking to find scope of implementing EHS in Sugar manufacturing process. Our program manager wants me to convince client to include Waste Management in SOW. Problem is that neither have they been following any regulation in waste disposal process nor do they have any business scenario to track the process. I am looking for some help in getting relevant BPP documents.

Have you implemented waste management in sugar manufacturing lately? Any help would be appreciated.

I shall be travelling to their plants next week, hope to come out of walking colors if not flying.

Regards,

Akash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akash,

1. I have not implemented EHS for sugar factory.

2. Scope of implementing EHS in Sugar manufacturing process.

Sugar plants do not generate any kind of hazardous wastes. the main problem is air emissions from the boilers, handling of press mud, cane trashes and disposal of waste water. With regard to product safety, the issue is straight run and the scope for dual substances i.e. white crystal sugar and molasses as bi-product. The press mud generates from the sugar unit is used for filler material for bio-compost preparation.

The waste generation from the plant may be classified- three types. a. boiler ash (usually sugar plants need large amount of steam for the purpose of extracting sugar from cane, concentration of juice and crystallisation etc). for this prupose usually 30 - 40 Tons/hour boiler is used for a plant capacity of 2500 T of cane crushing, here fuel is option- bagasse, paddy husk and rarely coal is used. after burning of fuels - susbtatioal quantity of ash is generated from the boile and disposal of this is opted for low level conditioning, country brick manufacturing activity and rarely used for manure to agriculture fields.

b. waste water generation - in india, the regulation is mainly for fresh water consumption for tone of sugar crushed i.e. shall not be more than 100 lit. and the water water generation will not exceed 300 KLD (300,000 Lit/day) for the plant capacity of 2500 TCD. usually these effluents shall be treated confirming the regulatory standard before discharge - option:- for irrigation purpose/ inland surfcae water bodies, depends case to case. the regulatory norms mainly empasises to achieve concentration of pollutants to the standards - TSS- 100 mg/l, BOD - 30 mg/l, COD - 250 mg/l and oil& grese - 10 mg/l etc.

The solid waste from the treatment plant is being used as good manure for agricultural purposes, ehich is not categorised / treated as hazardous waste any where in india.

c. Air emissions: main source of emissions is boiler. Air pollution control equipment like ESP/ Bag filters/ wet scrubbers are provided to control the conc. of particulate matter in the flue gases. in india, the limit varies from 100 mg/l to 150 mg/l, depends on the loacal authority.

Haz. waste generation: as per indian regulations, the type of wastes that generated from teh sugar plant is used engine oils, used lead acid batteries and trnaformer oil.

Now a days all sugar units are upgraded for co-generation of power suppply, utilsing the steam from the boiler followed by use in the process, as the high pressure steam (direct steam)is not required for the sugar plants.

last point - sugar units operates fro a period three to four months, it is seasonal. usually operating period is between - october/Novmber to March/April. merely operational period not more than 120 days in a calendar year.

I hope the above info will be useful for ur plans. I will be much thankful, if u keep posting me the latest developments in the issue.

good luck,

regards,

mahesh.

akash_agrawal5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

This is indeed a great explanation. Thanks and High Five..!

I will surely have more questions next week. Till then your reply is going to work as reference.

Regards,

Akash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akash,

As Mahesh told there is no hazardous waste material generated in sugar plants. first of all you understand the waste disposal process. dont worry about regulations becuase it is not a standard regulations. it will vary from country to country. But the waste disposal process is common across the world.

there are two methods, one is through vendor and another is through customer. Hope you can understand the difference. Vendor means company has to pay money for the disposal service whehre as customer means company will get money from them for the same waste disposal.

Vendor handles hazardous waste material, there is no use of such material and it should be disposed off.

customer handles re cycle waste material (ex-steel industry), they will dispose from company and they will pay money.

Regards,

Ram.

akash_agrawal5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

How are you doing ?

Absolutely correct and thanks for the reply. I may need your help further. Will ping you.

Regards,

Akash

Answers (0)