Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arranging fields in a table-like form: best-Practice-Solution wanted

former_member593901
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I´m wondering if there exists a 'best practice' considering how to arrange fields in a table-like form.

I know about cross-tables, but that´s not what we need. Most of the requirements that I have come to known are just that certain fields should be put in a certain order in a table-like outfit.

We have tried to do this using the drawing functions (e.g. putting a square around the fields and certain border styles), but it often happens that the lines overlap or there are breaks between the lines, so that you have to do a lot of manual configuration with the 'table'.

Since this is a requirement I´ve come upon with many reports, I can´t believe that this is supposed to be the best solution for this.

I don´t understand why there isn´t a table-like element in Crystal Reports to use for this. E.g. put a table with x rows and y columns in the header or group head section section and then just put the fields in it.

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

You can use build in templates available in Template expert.

Click on Report menu-> Template Expert.

Select the desired template. ( Table grid template would suite best here) and click OK.

There is no facility of inserting a table directly as you said. You will have to do it manually by using lines and boxes.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

former_member593901
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

thanks for your answer. I hadn´t seen the template before, but it´s unfortunatey only a little help, but a help anyway (it seems to be just a squar e put across the sections...).

I guess there is no other way then 'drawing' your own table.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Frank,

Have you looked at the Format Multiple Columns feature in

the Details section of the Section Expert ?

I'm sure it's not exactly what you want, but you may be able

to use it with another idea and come close.

Also, you can insert an Ole object, like an Excel spreadsheet, and

place the fields inside the cells. Or maybe even set up tables in a

Word doc, insert that, and place the fields in that.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

The Panda

former_member593901
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pandabear,

thanks a lot, that´s a great idea with the excel spreadsheet for our purposes.

Because we often have reports that require just a fixed layout "x rows, y columns" this is an easy way to get data in a tabular outfit.

Best regards,

Frank

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank

In Crystal Reports, using a Cross-Tab is the easier way to present data in a tabular format.

If you do not want just to insert a cross tab, you can create a mock cross tab with your requirements.

Hope this helps!!

Regards

Sourashree