cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from XI R2 to Xi R3 and new server box

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to migrate to a new server and on that new server, we will install BO XI R3. We have the following issues:

1. All our users have bookmarked the XI R2 address in their browser. How can we transparently forward them to the new server. Can we do it with DNS forwarding?

2. Even we can forward to the XI R3 login page, but how can we keep running our existing Xcelsius Dashboards. The Xcelsius dashboards get refreshed using live office and the live office model points to XI R2 reports. Do we need to update the model for each of the dashboards to point to the new server?

Please let us know if anyone has any suggestion/experience.

Regards,

Tanveer.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I plan to do a "complex upgrade" from XI R2 to XI 3.0 (new server box).

XI R2 runs on a windows 2003 server : sould XI 3.0 be installed on a windows box, or can I use a linux redhat box ?

regards

Bernard Maillot

University of Grenoble - FRANCE

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can certainly install on Linux, then use Import Wizard to migrate content from XIr2 on windows

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

My suggestion/experience is you will want to have access to both XIR2 and 3.0 during the migration.

A migration is one of the more complicated tasks and there could be unforseen obstacles.

In theory you should be able to migrate most or all of your XIR2 to 3.0 and then give out a new link to allow others to test. At the same time you leave XIR2 and the old links available in case issues arise you will have a backup.

Live office should be able to be redirected to 3.0 there is a legacy support built in for this (dswsbobje).

The final goal of course is to migrate everything to 3.0 and stop using the XIR2

There are many consultants both within BO/and 3rd party that can help plan a migration.

You should also have the support of the BO deployment team if migration issues should arrise.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim and Jaques,

Thanks for your reply. I can assume that the dashboards published to enterprise will work. But in my organization, there are some dashboards in .swf format which are saved in local drives and they run it from there. I am worried whether those dashboards will run or not. Can you put some light on it? I exported the data model in excel from the dashboard and found that the data model currently links to R2 WEBI report through live office. So I am in confusion.

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,

Tanveer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tanveer,

On your questions...

1) I have not done this one, but you could try to put a redirect in the current location of the XI R2 - I don't know - just an idea...

2) This I have done between R2 environments.... If you migrate te Webi reports and the dashboards to the new server they should still work as they will be looking at the reports on the new server. BUT, if you created the Session URL in Xcelsius using the FQN of the server, then you may need to update the dasboards else they will try to run the web services url on the R2 box. If you used /dswsbobje/services/session only then they will run once migrated.

The other thing to remenber is that if you used the FQN, users ca still refresh the dashboard from any location i.e if exported to PDF, Office etc... and using /dswsbobje/services/session this won't be possible, only a refresh from enterprise will work.

Regards

Jacques