cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sessions in CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know if anyone notices this or if this is a problem with my Crystal Reports Server 11 installation. Whenever I go to schedule a report, it shows up as a new session in the CMS. It is just blank; it has no name associated with it. Is this suppossed to happen? Is this scheduled report using one of my concurrent user license?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can't speak from CR Server, but in BOE XIR2, if you schedule a report, it will create a login for your account to do the actual activity.....as if you were logged in at the run time running the report.

I assume it is the same for CR as well. The only difference that I noticed is using a blank user-id. In BOE's case, it will use the user-id of the person who scheduled the report.

Hope this helps.

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kashif.

Does this new session use one of the concurrent licenses? The reason I ask is because with Crystal Reports Server, there is a max of 20 concurrent user licenses. Therefore if I have a couple users scheduling reports; the licenses would be used up rather fast.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sure it does. Internally, its no different than a user logging in and running a report. However, there are couple of things you can do.

1. Talk to your Business Objects Sales rep to make sure if this assumption is true.

2. Schedule reports at off peak time; which will mean there won't be any issue with the concurrent licenses.

Kashif

Edited by: Kashif Saeed on Sep 16, 2008 5:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help Kashif.

However I noticed something while monitoring the Crystal Reports Server. There are certain reports when scheduled that don't appear as any sessions at all in the CMS. So some scheduled reports show up in sessions while others do not.

I'm a bit confused as what could be causing this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's an interesting observation. Have you noticed any similarities in the ones (e.g. format, prompts, destination etc. ) which do not create a session? Also, are these no session reports scheduled from the same account?

If you can track some kind of trend on when it is happening and when not, then it will help us to troubleshoot the issue.

I noticed these logins when I designed a data warehouse using the Auditor database. Normally these logins are half a second or even few milli seconds. Most of these records in the Auditor database showed up as zero seconds for login duration. It could very well be that the sessions are too small for you to notice it in CMC. I am sure by the time you go to CMC to track the session it is more than a second and the session doesn't exist there.

I am sure if you have Auditor then you can validate if what I am saying is actually happening.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've tested the reports with my login. Certain reports that I schedule show up in the CMS as a session with no name attached to it; while others that I schedule don't show up at all. I've looked at the reports that produce theses different behaviours but nothing stands out.

A kill session java SDK that I installed shows all the sessions. That is how I know who the blank sessions belong to. I'll do some more checks tomorrow and post any findings. Unfortunately auditing is not a part of the package we have. Thanks once again; I appreciate your help.

BasicTek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zane,

I notice in the original post you said CRSR1 or version 11

There were some bugs on that version regarding the handling of sessions. SP3 or later should resolve. I'm not able to reference the ADAPT's right now.

Just FYI...

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

I intsalled SP3 to no avail. I know Kashif said that a scheduled Crystal Report shows up as a session in the CMS. Hence it uses a license. Have you noticed this as well?

Can any of you guys shed a little light on how sessions work? I know logins are sessions and use BO licenses, but are there any others (like running scheduled reports) that use sessions as well?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tim,

I had an error while installing the SP3 on my test system earlier, but it seemed as though it went through. I decided to reinstall the SP3. And now it looks like I no longer experience this problem. A scheduled report no longer shows as a session in CMS. So no additional licenses are being used. I just need to go implement this on the production system now.

Thanks guys.

Answers (0)