cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS-DB migration procedure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

We are having our PRD system on ECC5.0 HP-UX /oracle 9i platform... as part migration project we need to migrate our Test server from HP-UX / Oracle environment to

Windows 2003 / MSSQL 2005 environment.

I am not aware of the options for OS-DB migration .. could anybody let me know where can i find procedure for the same ... and also do i require Staging machine along with source and Target machine. Appreciate your help.

Regards,

RR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Migrations require a certified consultant on-site, otherwise you will loose support for the target system.

For a start check http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration and the FAQ.

The copy itself is technically done by a system copy using R3load (http://service.sap.com/systemcopy).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

I have already performed DB migration from Windows/oracle platform to Windows/MSSQL platform for ECC 6.0 version (during some other past projects )and below are steps i followed

You have to inform SAP about the plans of migration

You shall use sapinst to do the migration.

You require a migration key and that can be generated with the help of SAP or by certified consultant.

You may need to download relevent notes as the preparation or may download during the export process.

The SAPINST export the source database (creates the export cd' n the lay mans language).

Then prepare the target (new instance ) with sapinst It is same as new installation but during the installation it will ask the path of export cd's,you can point this to your export dump.

Do the post processing and finish the task.

But this time my source machine is HP_ux/Oracle platform and target machine is Windows/MSSQL platform ... is there any need of Staging machine in between .....or Just take database independent Export of oracle database using SAPINST on Unix machine ..... on target windows machine while installation provide this export files created.

Please could you throw some light on the same.

Edited by: ganesh rr on Sep 16, 2008 12:13 AM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But this time my source machine is HP_ux/Oracle platform and target machine is Windows/MSSQL platform ... is there any need of Staging machine in between .....or Just take database independent Export of oracle database using SAPINST on Unix machine ..... on target windows machine while installation provide this export files created.

You can use a Windows machine to store the data and mount it on HP-UX using the CIFS client or you can use the Microsoft Services for Unix (freely available) and store the files on a Unix system. This will enable you to do the migration in parallel (export + import running in parallel). You can also save locally and then copy. No need of staging in the classical sense.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks you very much for your options.

To summarise it ...

I need to start SAPINST ..export ( database independent method ) on HP-UX/Oracle platform on source machine.

Create Export files and FTP it to Target Windows machine.

On windows machine use these export files to install ECC with MSSQL 2005 platform and perform post installation.

Could you suggess any specific note which talks about settings i need to make in order to avoid performance problems on target MSSQL platform once migrated from Oracle.

I am currently refering to note 936441 for premigration ( PreExport ) settings from Oracle side.... i would like to know while installation with Exported files on MSSQL platform is there any specific action i may need to carry out ??

Thanks in advance for your opinion .

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Could you suggess any specific note which talks about settings i need to make in order to avoid performance problems on target MSSQL platform once migrated from Oracle.

Performance tuning is of course difficult to generalize. If you have e. g. created secondary indexes for Oracle, they may slow down the system on SQL server. However, this is something that need to be looked after once the system is migrated.

To speed up import (significantly) check 1156361 - R3load: Fastload doesn't support LOB-columns

I would copy the production system, migrate it and then ask some key users to do their normal daily tasks and tell you if they see any differences.

After the migration I would

- run SGEN to generate all loads

- run "dbcc checkdb"

- do an update statistics

For further parameterization you can check the following notes:

1054852 - Recommendations for migrations to MS SQL Server

799058 - Setting Up Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Markus

Answers (0)