cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode Reading

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a question regarding Barcode Reading. I tried to search in SDN but I havent found anything yet.

I need to know if Barcode reading is very simple in SAP as long as you have a Barcode Scanner connected to your PC. I have read somewhere that the Barcode Scanner works like a substitute for the keyboard entry. Does it mean that if I open Tcode VF03 in SAP, have the cursor on Billing document and I scan the barcode using a reader then can I expect to see the number on screen. For that matter I open up any transaction and have the cursor on any input field and expect the system to display the scanned number on screen?

Please clarify this if my assumptions are right. Or what else I have to do to achieve this and how complicated is this?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With most bar-code scanners you just plug them in and go. You may need to install some software so you can set whether or not to pass the check digits (in your example you wouldn't want the check digit) and whether it should insert a carriage return after scanning to save the user from having to hit the enter key.

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the barcode scanner is connected to the PC as a substitute of the keyboard, than your assumptions are right. You can go to any text field in the SAP and just scan the barcode, it will be populated into the Barcode field.

Basically, it all depends on the barcode scanner - what kind of software is required, etc. If your reader is plug-and-play than your OS will take care and replicate that value to the screen field.

Regards,

Naimesh Patel