Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executing a program in background is not creating spool

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am facing a small problem with one of the program. Below are the details.

Its a simple program of uploading file from local machine and displaying the output. when I am running in foreground, the contents of file are copied into internal table and getting displayed in List.

Where as when I run background, No spool is getting created. Also I found that, the internal table is getting cleared. I have put an IF NOT INITIAL check and found that, Internal table is getting cleared and error message is written in the spool .

There is no problem with file upload in background or foreground.

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are uploading your file from your LOCAL PC than the Background job will not work. Because background job is being executed on Server. So, it doesn't have the connection to your local PC.

You can put your file on Application server and use the OPEN DATASET .. TRANSFER to read the file in the Background processing.

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

2 REPLIES 2

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are uploading your file from your LOCAL PC than the Background job will not work. Because background job is being executed on Server. So, it doesn't have the connection to your local PC.

You can put your file on Application server and use the OPEN DATASET .. TRANSFER to read the file in the Background processing.

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What you means with "uploading file from local machine":

- Presentation Server or Application Server?

If u're using the fm as GUI_UPLOAD or WS_UPLOAD in order to upload the data from a file of Presentation Server u should consider those fms work foreground only.

So how do u upload the file?

Max