cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Informix ODBC connection switching problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

This question is an extension of another question thread . I am reasking it hoping that a SAP engineer will respond.

I am using CR XI R2 to update a report template which pulls data across an Informix ODBC connection. During development, I update the Field Explorer in the report designer with the schema of the database using the Database menu item Set Datasource Location. I update all the tables and views using the ODBC connection to the database. Previously (before CR XI R2), I was able to save the report template and use it on other machines with identically configured ODBC connections which pointed to other identically configured instances of my Informix database. We maintain three copies of the Informix database on three different hosts corresponding to development, testing and production. I made changes to the report template on the development host, then moved the template to the testing host, which had an identical ODBC connection to a different Informix database, and everything worked. I thought that this was how ODBC connections were supposed to work - the database is abstracted from the connection. The report template worked in this way until I upgraded to CR XI R2.

Here are the steps I used to reproduce the problem:

1. Open the report template in Crystal Reports XI R2

2. Update the schema information from the database in the Field Explorer using the Database menu item Set Datasource Location. During this process, I create a new ODBC connection corresponding to the Informix connection and then update all tables and views in the report

3. Use the Database menu item Verify Database to make sure that the report database connection is established

4. Click Print Preview and the report populates as expected

5. Save the report template

6. Move the report template to a different machine which has an identically configured ODBC connection which points to a different Informix database

7. Open the report template in the Crystal Reports designer

8. Click Print Preview and the report does not display properly

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Please re-post if this is still an issue to the Data Connectivity - Crystal Reports Forum or purchase a case and have a dedicated support engineer work with you directly

patrick_genest
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

When opening and refreshing the report on a different computer, you stated it does not display properly. Does the report format is different, or are you getting an error message?

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Patrick,

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I meant that the report appears with no data in it in the Preview pane of the designer. There is no error message displayed. When I attempt to run Verify Database, I get messages indicating that the database tables and views in my report are not found.

Thanks,

Paul