Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Standard Roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.

What is SAP's best practice for using (customizing) the SAP standard roles? I have always used the standard roles as templates to customize for my customers. Is there a stated SAP best practice for this?

If I use a standard role, customize it and copy it to the company namespace and the standard role it is customized off of changes, does my customized role change?

How do release upgrades affect the standard SAP roles?

Thanks!

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Todd,

If you copy the roles to a your own namespace then they won't be touched during upgrade.

I can't comment on what happens to standard roles during upgrade as I tend to avoid them.

There is no accepted best practice around using standard roles, though there is reasonably wide belief that developing your own from the ground up is a better way to develop roles to meet your customers business processes.

I find that where standard roles have been used, the end user roles have generally a lot of unused transactions. Functional & business people see a large list & choose most of them rather than building up from a subset of inscope transactions which are also used for training, BPP's etc.

There is also the consideration that using standard roles guides you to building in the same way. That's not to say it is a bad way, just can limit flexibility if you build down to a task level (nasty, nasty, nasty) or higher at a job or function level.

Cheers

Alex

3 REPLIES 3

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What is SAP's best practice for using (customizing) the SAP standard roles? I have always used the standard roles as templates to customize for my customers. Is there a stated SAP best practice for this?

Copy and adapt the copy to your needs.

> If I use a standard role, customize it and copy it to the company namespace and the standard role it is customized off of changes, does my customized role change?

I do not clearly understand what you mean here but if you copy something and the original is changed afterwards the copy is not affected.

> How do release upgrades affect the standard SAP roles?

They may be changed, new ones may appear. I do not know if upgrades remove roles. I wouldn't expect that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Todd,

If you copy the roles to a your own namespace then they won't be touched during upgrade.

I can't comment on what happens to standard roles during upgrade as I tend to avoid them.

There is no accepted best practice around using standard roles, though there is reasonably wide belief that developing your own from the ground up is a better way to develop roles to meet your customers business processes.

I find that where standard roles have been used, the end user roles have generally a lot of unused transactions. Functional & business people see a large list & choose most of them rather than building up from a subset of inscope transactions which are also used for training, BPP's etc.

There is also the consideration that using standard roles guides you to building in the same way. That's not to say it is a bad way, just can limit flexibility if you build down to a task level (nasty, nasty, nasty) or higher at a job or function level.

Cheers

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your replies!