cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting alphabetically

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When I create reports using Crystal, sometimes it will randomly produce them out of alphabetical order. Even when I import them alphabetically sorted by Last Name (which is how I want it) sometimes it will group from L-R, then H-J, jump to U-V, and sorts all over the place.

How can I get it to sort alphabetically by Last Name (but still show the full name at the top)?

I am fairly new to Crystal Reports so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fritzfeltus
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Megan,

"How can I get it to sort alphabetically by Last Name (but still show the full name at the top)?"

I don't completely understand what you mean with "the top", but are you using the record sort expert (Report > Record Sort Expert) to sort your data?

Here you can choose any field in your report (in your case Last Name), and Crystal will sort your data according to the data from that field.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help! For some reason, that way only worked if the report was small (50 or so people). Instead, what I tried is the following:

Report>Group Expert>Select the "LastName" field from the left side under available fields and add to the right side titled "Group By">Highlight "LastName" (now on the right side)>Use up arrow at the top of this box to move this grouping to the first position>OK

This then inputs the Last Name of the employee to the top and bottom of the report (which I don't need). So I just delete it, but they're in alphabetical order now!