Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEM-BCS 4.0 and BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

short question:

Is it possible to use SEM-BCS 4.0 with BI 7.0 or is it neccessary to upgrade SEM.BCS 4.0 to SEM-BCS 6.0 when upgrading BW 3.5 to BI 7.0 ?

Thanks,

Misko

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for this information.

I am also not sure if it would be possible to still run BCS 4.0 with BI 7.0.

Regarding SAPs official statement (SEM-BCS 6.0 bases on BI 7.0) I would trend to upgrade on the one hand BW 3.5 to BI 7.0 and otherwise SEM 4-0 to SEM 6.0.

Regards,

Misko

Former Member
0 Kudos

IMHO, what SEM-BCS 4.0 needs from the SAP/BW systems is the infoobjects/cubes/ODS objects (I believe that they are the same in 3.5 and 7.0). BEx frontend works with both versions.

Just use the proper FINBASIS. Looks to me that that's enough for compatibility.

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We asked that specific question to SAP when planning the BI upgrade and they made it clear that if there is a shared instance for SEM & BW, then you must upgrade both.

If there is a separate instance for each, then the separate BI instance may be upgraded and the BCS data may be transferred to the upgraded BI for reporting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Can you please explain what do you mean by share instance?

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards,

UR

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

By shared instance I mean that the BW and SEM are not on separate systems.

The term "instance" is one that I've heard used a lot over the years working with SAP. I am not a BASIS expert and they would certainly provide a better technical explanation, but as I understand it a single instance is one system - ECC and R/3 may have multiple clients in a single instance.

Separate instances would therefore be separate, independent systems where one BW system resides in one instance and SEM/BW resides in another, separate instance.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Usually it is said that SEM-BCS 6.0 works with BI 7.0.

But your question is a little bit different.

IMHO, it should be possible, to work in SEM-BCS 4.0 with BI 7.0. But, not sure.