cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

u201CCannot drop here. Incompatible Objectu201D

Former Member
0 Kudos

To start out I should mention that I am new to Data Analyzer and not all that proficient in SQL. We just stated using this as part of our association management software. Anyway here is the problem I am having:

A couple times when I try to add a query and then try and combine the two queries I drop the field I want into the original table and nothing happens. I noticed that when I hold it over that table a box appears that says u201CCannot drop here. Incompatible Objectu201D. I first created a query in the meeting universe by displaying the u201Cproduct codeu201D, u201Cregistrant master customer IDu201D, and u201Cregistrant last first nameu201D and I filtered it by the product code. The second one I built in the committee universe by displaying the u201CCommittee Label Nameu201D, u201CCommittee Member Master Customer IDu201D, and u201CLast First Nameu201D and filtering on committee class code to pull out all of our committee members. I ran the query so that both tables are in the same tab. Now what I want to accomplish is to show all of the people who registered for the meeting and what committees they are in. Since some of them may be in more than one committee I wanted to drag the u201Cproduct codeu201D field from the meeting universe so that it would display the code next to the members name for each committee he is in. It is when I try to do this that I get the above error message. I know I need to link the ID fields because they have different names but it doesn't matter if I do this before or after trying to add the field to the table.

As part of this same query I also want to do the same thing with the membership universe to find out what sections they belong to. I received the same error when trying this except when I tried moving the field for u201Cbase unit priceu201D rather than the u201Cproduct codeu201D from the meeting universe and that worked. I was then able to identify all the section members because they had a $ amount next to their name. Since there are no $ associated with committees though I need to be able to do it another way.

I appreciate any help that you can offer.

Scott

Edited by: Scott Golonka on Sep 12, 2008 10:11 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Object incompatibility can be resolved by creating a variable equal to the universe objects but you need to change the type to Details. Then you can use this variable objects in the report. This is often used when you don't have objects to merge. And can help avoid the usage of a second data provider.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scott,

There is a feature in WebI called "Merged Dimensions" that is applied after the report runs but before you start compiling information. To access it, ensure that you have a query that uses more than one data provider (DP), then after the report runs and you fall into Edit Report mode, click on the icon "Merged Dimensions", which is located as the fourth icon of the second ribbon row. When you click you get the menu and here you will physically point to u201Cregistrant master customer IDu201D and u201CCommittee Member Master Customer IDu201D and then tell WebI to merge. Now when you have a grid and try to do the work you describe you should no longer get the "unable to do so" message.

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

I must confess I did not read your post in detail. That said, the u201CCannot drop here. Incompatible Objectu201D message usually occurs when the objects you are trying to display (in the same table at the report level) are from tables (in the universe) that are not part of the same context.