Changing Inventory item into non inventory item

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi team ,

I am having a problem with Inventory . For Example

Item A

Item B

Item C

These are treated as inventory item and has transaction and stock .

However these items should be treated as non inventory item

(not the previous transaction ) but the stock present in warehouse .

How can I handle this ?

Thank you in advance

Bishal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jitin_chawla
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once there are transactions, we cannot make existing Inventory type item to Non Inventory type item.

Check SAP note:937297 which states as follows :

Symptom

Changing the status of the Inventory Item checkbox (in Item Master Data) for items with inventory transactions and documents, might lead to inaccuracies in the calculations of inventory value.

Other terms

Inventory Item, Non-inventory Item, Item Master Data, Continuous Stock, Perpetual Inventory, Inventory Valuation, 2004, 2005, 2005 A SP01

Reason and Prerequisites

Consulting Note

Solution

The status of an item (Inventory Item/Non-Inventory item as selected in the Inventory Item checkbox in the Item Master Data window), cannot be changed once an A/P, A/R, or Inventory document is posted for the item.

Regards,

Jitin Chawla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitin ,

I am aware of the situation that In item Master data ,that I cannot unclick Inventory data .

Item evaluation method is standard cost .

So my initial thought was to do good issues and take all the inventory out of the warehouse and change in Item Master data that it is sales or purchase type only .

(The reason i am saying is this because this item shouldn't be an inventory at first place)

I found out because of this, I have very high Item discrepancy .

Please give me a work around

Thank you

Bishal

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Certain settings in the Item Master can be changed by bringing the stock to zero but not changing the Item from Inventory to Non-Inventory.

Changing a Non-Inventory to Inventory might be possible but not the reverse !!

jitin_chawla
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

The entry made with Item as Inventory type has entered the stock. Even if you being the balance to zero the quantity it is not achievable as changing of inventory item to non- inventory item cannot give an retrospective effect to the transactions already created, hence such a change is prohibited.

It can give inconsistencies.

Even if you do a Goods Issue and bring the stock balance to zero, upon clicking the Inventory tickbox, you will get the error "Inventory Item cannot be changed, due to existence of either posting or documents..."

As an alternate you can create new Item Code and discontinue the use of old ones.

Regards,

Jitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

The workaround is to hold these items and create new one. New item code and name can be similar with the wrong one. You can even change the wrong items' name to warn users should not touch them.

You can not change the history. That is all. Let bygone be bygone.

Thanks,

Gordon