Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Node Number creation

Hi everyone - I have a question about how the Workflow system assigns Node Numbers to steps.

I see that the definition of a Node Number is:

"Number of a workflow definition step, outcome or operator.

All steps, outcomes and operators are given a unique number by the system."

My question is more in depth - how does the system go about assigning these numbers.....simply by numerical order? For instance, I'm working on a workflow, and I create a Send Mail step.....it is assigned a number of 000001. An hour later, my co-worker creates an Activity step in his workflow.....will the system assign 000002? After that, I create a Loop step.....the system assigns it 000003? Is this how it assigns numbers?

Thanks!

Steve

replied

Hi Steven,

Task numbers are assingned globally, but node numbers are sequential within a workflow template.

Add a few undefined steps and they should be in sequenece. Some things can create gaps in the numbering so that it may appear a little bit random. e.g. an until loop What's a little bit confusing is that many nodes aren't obvious in the workflow builder (e.g. an outcome is a node, as is a point where two branches join). Also as you go along editing &cutting/pasting, new nodes are created all the time so it's easy to end up with a 15 step workflow and node numbers in the 100's.

If you want to see the details, use the alphanumeric editor. Much more informative.

Cheers,

Mike

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question