cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEX Structures

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have read several posts on this forum but I am still not clear about Structures.

Can anyone explain me:

1. What is a structure and whats its use. When to use when we have RKF, CKF, Formula, Filters?

2. How do I create one?

3. Where do I create Global, Local structure. I mean are the global ones on left and local ones on right in Bex?

Replies will be appreciated generously.

-TC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TC,

1. What is a structure and whats its use. When to use when we have RKF, CKF, Formula, Filters?

Inorder to keep some order for the measures we can create a structure.

If the same measures we need to use in different queries, instead of dragging and dropping each measure again, we can make use of structure

If the measures need to be displayed wih respect to time, or in t he report if the values need to be displayed in according to time, we can create a time structure

2. How do I create one?

You can rt click and create a structure

3. Where do I create Global, Local structure. I mean are the global ones on left and local ones on right in Bex?

Global structure is one we are creating in the left hand top corner which can be used in different queries and if we do some changes in this structure, it will reflect in all queries in which this structure is made use of

Local structure is one which is created in rows or columns bx of the query designer. As this is local, the changes wont affect any other queries

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mathew:

Global structure is one we are creating in the left hand top corner which can be used in different queries and if we do some changes in this structure, it will reflect in all queries in which this structure is made use of

---> On left hand side under infoprovide - I see key figures and dimensions. when I right click I don't get anthing.

-TC

Former Member
0 Kudos

The global structure is created as normal on eonly. If we are saving the structure after dropping all the neded one in rows or columns and saving this in a name, then this will act as global structure. If we are not saving the structure, it will act as local

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mathew and Brian:

I am sure you have tried to explain it nicely but I can't decript the word in there:

The global structure is created as normal on eonly. If we are saving the structure after dropping all the neded one in rows or columns and saving this in a name, then this will act as global structure. If we are not saving the structure, it will act as local

EONLY?

Can you add a little more meat here for me to understand or point me to a link where it is explained?

Thanks- TC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Think of it this way .... you cannot have a query with key figures without a structure. When you drag a key figure onto your query, a local structure is created automatically for you.

If you like that structure and want to use the exact same structure in another query, or you want to lock that structure down with security, then you can save that structure. When you save the structure, it becomes a global structure that you can use in other queries attached to the same cube.

Thinking in other terms, you have a GL Account characteristic structure that you want to report one-way on Income and another way on Balance Sheet, you can save the structure and use it in two different queries where the key figures are different (one set for income statement, and another set for Balance Sheet).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good one Brian.

Thanks!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mathew is right on target. I just wanted to add that there is a little known feature that people don't realize ... you can secure structures so no one can change them in production. This isn't usually a problem for a small team, however, in a large team or open production system, it is nice to be able to lock these objects from changes.

Brian