cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing time for CMS to try to restart

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using BOE XI R2 SP2 using an Oracle db. At 5 a.m. each morning, the database is backed up and therefore the CMS loses connection. The CMS continues to try to connect to the db for 3 minutes, but the backup takes 10 minutes. The CMS then never restarts. Is there a setting in the application that can be changed for the length of time that the CMS will attempt to reconnect? Or do I have to rely on someone creating a script to do so?

Also, what is the time difference in the log files? I am in the EST zone. But the log files, as I was told at one time by a support engineer are not the same. 3 hours different?? Why is that?

Thanks,

Susan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Also you may want to plan to upgrade to XI 3.0 as the CMS can now stay up during a DB outage and doesn't need to be restarted.

And when it's supported windows 2008 will allow for scheduled service restarts so scripts are no longer needed.

-Tim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Susan,

I presume you're using some flavor of Windows.

Your best option would be to use a (scheduled) script that starts the CMS. The script is as below:

net start "Central Management Server"

Save this as a batch file and schedule it.

That said, the other option is to use the Recovery tab for the CMS service itself from Services (Start -> Run -> services.msc). You can set the "Reset fail count after:" to 0 days and the "Restart service after:" to 0 minutes. That said, there is no guarantee this will work. This is because, these options assume:

1. The service started correctly.

2. The service died.i.e. the service quit with an abnormal error code and was not manually stopped.

Also, this restart logic '[apparently|http://blogs.msdn.com/jcalev/archive/2008/01/10/some-tricks-with-service-restart-logic.aspx]' does not work with all services. I personally have found this to be quite unreliable. I use a scheduled script to stop and start the server(s) when the db is being backed up.

To answer your last question, if you are in EST, the time difference should be -5:30 hrs. The logs use GMT for timestamps. This is to ensure that all CMSs (if servers are clustered across timezones) report the same timestamps in their logs. To the best of my knowledge, this cannot be changed.

Srinivas.