cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Enterprise R2 and Crystal XI R2 on same server. Good idea?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

We have 2 servers, clustered, running Enterprise R2 SP2. I would like to now install Crystal XI R2 SP2 on those servers.

Is this recommended?

Am I going to have a problem when I decide to bring the products up to SP3?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I was referring to installing Crystal Reports XI R2 SP2 (the report development tool) on a Windows 2003 server running Enterprise R2 SP2.

Thanks for all your help.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

To clarify you are asking if crystal reports of the same version can be installed on the XIR2 server?

If it's the same version then certainly, This is a common troubleshooting tools and is not only supported but encouraged.

Make sure you do not install CR XIR1 or other version on an XIR2 server. This will cause issues due to the shared libraries between the 2 products.

There is no CR for nix so this must be a windows server question only.

If this is Crystal Reports Server then both enterprise and CRS use the exact same core files for everthing. This would be impossible to do on windows. The installer should fail right away if you tried.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to clarify - my assumption was that the question is about installing Crystal Reports Server XI R2 on top of BusinessObjects Enterprise XI R2. - hence the notes concerning ports etc...

If this is about Crystal Reports XI (client tool), then certainly - see Tim's notes above.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would consider this risky - especially on Windows. You'd essentially be installing two instances of the same product, and I presume you'd have if not registry conflicts, program files directory conflicts at best. Furthermore, if even the above factors didn't hold, you'd have to use a different set of ports for the CR XI R2 install.

If you are on a Unix environment, it is more conceivable you could cleanly separate the installs (by setting up a new user/directory). You'd still have to make sure your ports are completely different & separate on the 2nd install.

Edited by: Will Munji on Sep 13, 2008 10:32 PM