cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on How to Create Web Services.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We're contempating the purchase of Xcelsius - but the version without FlyNet - as it has no user restrictions. We've done some experimentation with the use of XML Data Sources, but prefer the idea of using a Web Servcies Data Source.

The problem being that we have little experience with this sort of thing.

So, does anyone have advice for us on the best way to create Web Services that will source data from an Oracle DB?

Does anyone have any example scripting to go along with it?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Mick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have actually created a .NET multi schema Web Service in Visual Studio 2008, I used ODP.NET as my provider and it's hitting an Oracle 10g backend. I took the WS example off the Oracle website and changed the code around. It works like a charm and I'm able to consume the web service in Excel and other applications. Send me your e-mails and I can attach the code.

The issue I'm having now is that the Web Service generated by VS does not conform to a "Single Schema" which is required by Xcelsius. On the other hand, Flynet and BO's Query as a Web Service do provide the Single Schema WS, but we don't have money in our budget to purchase these right now.

So I'm in the process of making our VS.NET Web Services compatible with Xcelsius single schema requirements, since we already own these 2 products.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Francisco,

I'm interested in how you get on. We can't send email addresses on this forum. But several people have found me via Google (and hear my songs on [www.asonginmyheart.org|http://www.asonginmyheart.org] and use the Contact page). Hope to hear from you soon.

Hiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiran,

I just sent you the code for Oracle Web Service connectivity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Franciso,

Is there any chance you can send it to me also?

You can find my details on google if you search for "Michael Gibson" and "Deakin University" - after the Cognos entries.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Mick

Former Member
0 Kudos

just sent it - hope I have the right e-mail. .

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello

I have been trying to do as you described.. i can get a result from a .net web service returning a single value from the oracle db... to work in xcelcius but not with a returned dataset... .

This is not my strong point, web services, .. have you been able to make the web service readable by xcelcius? Also, i haven't been able to find much of any documentation on xcelcius and web service connections, do you know of any.????

thanks,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

As far as Web Services goes, the only thing we had any real luck with was Flynet (optional additional purchase from BO), and didn't get very far with other options - as it's not our strong point either.

We did have considerable luck using XML data sources - so you may wish to consider that as another option.

Regards

Mick

Former Member
0 Kudos

We found the same issue while experimenting with .Net web services. It seems Xcelcius cannot consume a Dataset.

However it can consume an array of strings. It interprets this as a table of information.

Below is an snippet of the C# .Net code to create the array. (It has two values: a company ID and a count of employees.) I did not write this code (a developer on our team did.)

EmployeeCount[] Counts = null;

int i = 0;
        Counts = new EmployeeCount[dtOutput.Rows.Count];
        foreach (DataRow row in dtOutput.Rows)
        {
            Counts<i>.Company = row["COMPANY"].ToString();
            Counts<i>.eCount = row["EmpCount"].ToString();
            i++;
        }

return Counts;

Below is an example of how we structured our webservice output

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: length

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ArrayOfEmployeeCount xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
  <EmployeeCount>
    <Company>string</Company>
    <eCount>string</eCount>
  </EmployeeCount>
  <EmployeeCount>
    <Company>string</Company>
    <eCount>string</eCount>
  </EmployeeCount>
</ArrayOfEmployeeCount>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike, I'm trying to do exactly the same. I have created a web service as a 'hello world' test and I hit a snag in Xcelsius Engage 2008 SP1. See my post below.

Maybe we can pool our minds to solving this?

Hiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hiran,

Have you had any luck yet? we haven't really.

We've tried to use Oracle JDeveloper to create the Web Services, but still no luck.

Regards

Mick