Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New OO concepts introduced in ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to know what all new object oriented concepts introduced into ECC 6.0 when compared to 4.6C version. Please provide the useful information.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

uwe_schieferstein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Satya

I am not sure if there have been big changes regarding OO concepts. Basically all of them are already available in 4.6c.

Of course on ERP 6.0 you have many more classes and more powerful classes (in terms of methods) available.

Major differences that I am aware of are:

- RTTI (runtime type identification) " e.g. CL_ABAP_TYPEDESCR and other classes
- functional method calls " e.g. go_msglist = cf_reca_message_list=>create( ) was not possible on 4.6c
- public type definitions   " I think on 4.6c only protected and private ones were possible

Regards

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for ur information. But I have seen Friends tab page of se24 transaction (in addition) in ECC 6.0. From which my understanding is that Friends concept of object oriented programming has been introduced in ECC 6.0.

Thanks,

Satya

0 Kudos

Hello Satya

You are probably right. For example, ABAP Unit Test Classes make use of the FRIENDS concept and they are available since >= 6.20.

However, the FRIENDS concept is something we do not have in Java (please correct me if I am wrong). My general approach to ABAP-OO is to program as Java-like as possible despite the differences between the two languages. Why?

You should always keep in mind that some day somebody else would / should / must take over your developments and we should make his or her task as easy as possible. Thus, always try to follow a generic and generally accepted way of programming.

Regards

Uwe