Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance question : number of volumes

fabricebourdel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

A general question about what "it should be" for good performance :

i have a database that always grows (quite nothing is deleted), due to regulary text files imports and human data entry.

Actually, i have one volume of 10 Gb (where datas use half the size).

The database is stored on the production machine, that use a raw space on a "standard" disk.

1) would it be better to have more than one volume, but smaller, for example 1 Gb per volume ?

2) I will have soon a new machine with raid 10 disks. Does it make sense to have more volumes too (on raw space) ?

greats !

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> A general question about what "it should be" for good performance :

ATTENTION: rules of thumb are just that: rules of thumb and if they apply to your system is not granted. So, be aware as "your mileage may vary"!

> i have a database that always grows (quite nothing is deleted), due to regulary text files imports and human data entry.

>

> Actually, i have one volume of 10 Gb (where datas use half the size).

This is pretty small, although you may want to rething your volume layout.

> The database is stored on the production machine, that use a raw space on a "standard" disk.

> 1) would it be better to have more than one volume, but smaller, for example 1 Gb per volume ?

Very likely: yes.

MaxDB stores data in 8K pages spread over all available volumes. It does not allocate groups of pages (aka extents), but just single pages as the primary tree structure is a B*tree, just like the indexes.

With multiple volumes you enable a higher parallelity when accessing the volumes, since there is an I/O task for assigned to each volume there is.

> 2) I will have soon a new machine with raid 10 disks. Does it make sense to have more volumes too (on raw space) ?

If you mean by "raw space" Raw Devices - well, yes. From a DB point of view there's nothing better than Raw Devices are the database does its own caching.

For a setup like your's I'd propose to have volumes of, say 2 GB in size.

That way you can still add much space to the database later on and also have at least some degree of parallel I/O.

In general, you should measure where your peformance bottleneck is and change that.

Best regards,

Lars

fabricebourdel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

thanks for response too !

i will prepare on the future machine (that is on ordered...) more raw devices...

And i will try to verify where bottlenecks are, by allowing first not too much data cache (to force disks access...)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello, Please see https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/maxdb

-> The Complete SAP MaxDB Documentation Set

-> SAP MaxDB 7.7 Library ->

< Glossary -> Data Volume

&& Database Administration -> Creating Databases -> Planning Databases >

The "Planning Databases" document of the MAXDB library has the "SAP Recommendation"

& "Hardware Selection" +"RAID Systems" +"Raw Devices" sections,

where you will find the answers on your questions.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

fabricebourdel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Natalia,

thx a lot, I read this part of documentation with interrest.