cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting Loop into already Completed Workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I created a 35 step workflow, but now it's been determined that a few new steps have to be added. About 7 steps into my workflow, I need to insert a Loop, and the loop should return between steps 3 and 4 (thereby encompassing steps 4, 5 and 6). However, when I insert a loop step it places the entire loop right between steps 6 and 7. How do I get the loop to encompass the pre-existing 4, 5 , and 6th step? I thought maybe I could drag and drop a portion of the loop, but that doesn't seem to be an available function......

Hopefully what I wrote makes sense!

Let me know if anyone can help out!

Thanks - Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are creating the loop step between steps 6 & 7, then do it and, Copy & Paste the blocks (steps 4,5 & 6) individually into the loop step and then delete steps 4,5 & 6 that are above loop step. The copying ensures that you won't lose the existing steps before the loop porting is complete.

Hope this helps

venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu, thanks. I kind of figured that was about the only way to do this. I have an even bigger issue now anyway.....I now have to insert a Fork step high up in the workflow. I tried to copy a loop and a fork within this fork, but the workflow must be too complex to do this b/c I'm not getting the results I expected. Some of the steps aren't branching to the correct location.....I may have to simply re-do the workflow.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

The loops and forks are always a bit complex to set up into a complex workflow. Cutting/pasting is really the only option (and even then the WF builder might decide to add some extra branch into your workflow, etc.). There shouldn't be need to redo the whole workflow - just some clever and careful cut/paste is needed. You might need to make this step by step.

Regards,

Karri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karri - I'll give it a shot! It's very odd how it throws some of the lines over on top of other steps, etc......very confusing. Plus I cut and pasted (and later just copied) a loop into the fork and it didn't place it there. It put it further down in the workflow. Anyway, I'll see what I can do!

Thanks,

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right Karri..You need some clever copy, paste and then delete skills..

And, try NOT to use the UNDO button coz i saw it messing the things up big time.

Regards,

venu

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

The workflow builder does sometimes try to be overly helpful like inserting extra branches in the fork when all you want is a new step, and occasionally ends up creating more chaos than good. The best way to work with complex cut&paste is to insert undefined steps first. Once you have those in the right places, clicking on one will always guarantee that whatever you are pasting ends up just above it.

Cheers,

Mike