cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent logon on specific J2EE server (double stack installation)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

We have BI 7.0 installed on 4 servers (CEN+3DIA) while each server has a double stack installation (ABAP + PORTAL).

We had a situation that we wanted to remove one of the instances from the connection, so the users couldn't connect to the portal side of a specific server.

We don't have a web dispatcher and we don't have logon groups in J2EE side but, we have configured sap logon groups that we see in SMLG.

Is there a way (other than shutdown the j2ee on the specific server) to prevent the users connect to server ? Is there an internal java group that we can remove there the name of the server ?

Please advice,

Dimitry Haritonov

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member265210
Active Participant
0 Kudos

In 700: In configtool >> select the instance > tab "Servers General" > uncheck "Execute" check box to disable.

In 710:

1. start config tool, from the tree structure, select the instance you want to configure.

2. Select VM Environment.

3. Select the Execute property.

4. In Custom value, enter false to disable instance

The value is set to true by default. Its function is to start the specified instance automatically when running the application server cluster.

5. Choose Apply changes

Regards

Shridhar Gowda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dimitry,

The R/3 logon groups are not relevant for the j2ee load balancing. I take it that the end user's are accessing the j2ee instances directly as you've already stated that you don't use a Web Dispatcher (and I assume no other load balancer). Instead of shutting down the j2ee instance, you could do 1 of the following:

- Use jcmon or SAPMMC (700 windows environment) to stop only the dispatcher node. It's a lightweight process and can be stopped and restarted very quickly.

or

- Suspend all server nodes on the particular instance. Suspending simply removes the server nodes from the dispatcher load balancing table. This is not the best option since the end users will get an error message in the browser stating that dispatcher is connection but no server nodes running.

Here are the steps for suspending nodes:

Connection to the telnet service with:

telnet <host> 5xx08 (xx is system number)

lsc (list cluster elements)

jump <ID of server0 node>

suspend (removes server0 from dispatcher list)

jump <ID of server1 node>

suspend

jump <ID of server# node>

suspend

To make the server nodes available to the dispatcher again simply follow the same steps as above, but replace 'suspend' with 'resume'.

I recommend the first option, stopping the dispatcher node only.

Regards,

Nathan Swenson

SAP Development Support - Palo Alto, CA (USA)

michael_mulvey
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use configuration files of the Web Dispatcher to exclude an instance from the load balancing. You need to configure the files icrgroups.txt and urlinfo.txt

Please see

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/65/3f1e405d21c442e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

particularly

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/87/252c4142aef623e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

If you only wish to exclude the server temporarily then you could create a logon group which contains all the servers bar the one you are working on.

Please refer to SAP Note 499327 for additional information.

If you want to work with logon groups, you must write the logon group information into a file (url_location.txt) and then use the parameter

wdisp/url_map_location = file://url_location.txt

to notify the Web Dispatcher of the logon groups.

The file describes the relevant logon group for a URL prefix and is structured as follows:

Version 1.0

PREFIX=<Prefix1> &GROUP=<Group name 1> &VHOST=%2a%3a%2a%3b

PREFIX=<Prefix2> &GROUP=<Group name 2> &VHOST=%2a%3a%2a%3b

PREFIX=<PrefixN> &GROUP=<Group name N> &VHOST=%2a%3a%2a%3b

Make sure that there are no blank spaces in the file and also ensure that the file is finished with a carriage return.

Hope this helps

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Generally in webdispatcher, itself we configure the logon loadbalancing. Is there any particular link like, 'myportal.domain.com' alias name configured for all this instance of portal, if there is something configured like that, then check in that settings and change the routing configuration accordingly.

As you don't have anything configured that , the only alternative is to shutdown that particular J2ee instance.

regrds,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want you can stop J2ee server, you can do it from jcmon.

I believe you can also do it from smicm --> administration --> Send soft/hard shutdown without restart.

Sorry misread the question

Regards

KVR

Edited by: KVR on Sep 11, 2008 10:49 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok ...

I would like to clear my myself, I don't want to stop the J2ee engine ...

I'm searching to remove the server from some kind of list or settings (like remove the server from SMLG) so the users, when they enter the url of message server, won't get the specific j2ee instance.

Any ideas ?

Dimitry

Edited by: Dimitry Haritonov on Sep 11, 2008 4:51 PM