cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with parameter fields and report selection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all:

I hope some one can help me with the problem I am having with my parameter field and record selection.

First, can anyone explain to me why my parameter field CustStart, which is dynamic and is based on the field Customer in the table CustMaster. There are over 1800 records in the CustMaster table but the drop down list only shows maybe about half of them and there is no way to scroll down to the last customer record. What am I doing wrong?

Second, is there any way to base a parameter field on a formula field on my report? On my report I have created a field Cust that is the customer name and number joined together in one field. I would very much llike to use this formula in my record selection and in my parameter field. Can it be done?

All help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

FatMan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Darren,

By default LOVs are limited to 1000 values. To change this search for note 1218588, it details how to increase this value.

You can't base a parameter off of a formula within the report but there are 2 options available to you;

1) base the parameter on the customer field and add the customer name as the description field (or vice versa).

2) if you are using enterprise then create the LOV in the Business View Manager, there you can create a formula in the Data Foundation that concatentates the 2 fields and base the LOV on that formula

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham:

Thanks for your post. I am new to this forum. Could you shed some light on what you mean when you say...."search for note 1218588". Where do I do this?

Thanks,

Darren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use the following for changin increasing the LOV.

Crystal Reports XI BusinessObjects Enterprise XI

For performance reasons, in Crystal Reports XI Release 1 and Release 2 the maximum number of values that are returned for a list of values is set to 1000. If you have a cascading List of Values (for example Country > Region > City), the lowest level (in this case City) will only display a maximum of 1000 values. This means that the higher-level prompts may display far fewer values than you expect. The list of values provides the data for the dynamic parameter list.

How can you modify the maximum number of values available in a dynamic parameter list?

Resolution

To increase the maximum number of values available in a dynamic parameter list, you must add a registry key.

CAUTION The following resolution involves editing the registry. Using the Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall the Microsoft Windows operating system. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. For information on how to edit the registry key, view the 'Changing Keys and Values' online Help topic in the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

It is strongly recommended that you make a backup copy of the registry files (System.dat and User.dat on Win9x computers) before you edit the registry.

Crystal Reports XI Release 1

1. Create a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV.

NOTE Alternatively, you can create the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV and that key will override the settings of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV key.

2. Add a string value "MaxRowsetRecords" and set the value to the maximum number of values that you desire for your report. For example, a value of 2000 will return up to 2000 values in the lowest level of a cascading parameter. NOTE: The value 0 (Unlimited) will not work with BusinessObjects Enterprise XI or Crystal Reports Server XI, you must specify another value.

NOTE The higher the number of values is, the longer it will take the Enter Values dialog box to populate with values.

3. After making changes to the registry, restart the affected service or application as required.

Crystal Reports XI Release 2

1. Create a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.5\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV.

NOTE Alternatively, you can create the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.5\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV and that key will override the settings of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.5\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV key.

2. Add a string value "MaxRowsetRecords" and set the value to the maximum number of values that you desire for your report. For example, a value of 2000 will return up to 2000 values in the lowest level of a cascading parameter.

NOTE The value 0 (Unlimited) will not work with BusinessObjects Enterprise XI or Crystal Reports Server XI, you must specify another value.

3. After making changes to the registry, restart the affected service or application as required.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prashant:

Thanks for the post.

Darren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham:

Was able to find the info. Silly me....the search at the top of the page works just fine. Sometimes it is just to hard to see the trees through the forest.

Thanks for the help.

FatMan

Edited by: FatMan on Sep 15, 2008 4:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham:

I tried what you suggested and edited the registry but I still can only see the first 1000 records from my list. I am running my application on a "client/server" basis. Could this mean the registry entry needs to be made on the server? I did make it on the client but if had no affect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

FatMan

Edited by: FatMan on Sep 15, 2008 4:36 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham:

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion was 100% bang on. I made a mistake in the spelling of the Reg Key.

Thanks,

FatMan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry thought note 1218588 would fix my problem but still having problems. Please see post above.

Edited by: FatMan on Sep 15, 2008 4:39 PM