Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Help with Percentile and/or Rank() functions

Hello, I have a data set that contains survey results about managers. For each manager we evaluate the percentage of responses that were a "strongly agree" . This is a calculated measure/variable in my report. I need to break the managers into three groups depending on their percent strongly agree ([SA]) - so, High, Med and Low groups. I've tried using the percentile function to figure out the scores to base the breaks on, but in a table that contains manager name and percent strongly agree, when I add Percentile([SA];.33) it always returns whatever the value of [SA] is. I've tried to change the context and still have not yeilded any meaningful results. I have also tried to use the Rank() function and then to break them into three even groups, but have been unsucsessful because the rank function does not rank in order - for instance if you have two scores that tie, the next number in sequence is not what I would have expected: 1,2,3,3,5 - notice the 5 not the 4. So if I were to take the top number of a rank in series, and divide that by 3 I'm not going to get an even distribution because the rank numbers are not in sequence. Can someone please offer any advice?

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question