cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRViewer and File System Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

VS 2005, BOE XI Rel 1.

We have a need to display the content of various types of files - PDF, XLS, RTF, HTML content - in a web page. These files are stored in several locations within out network's file system. We would like to use one control to render this information. While we have found a way to render these in the page using Response.Write(), it is not always a reliable means of doing so.

Questions:

Can the .Net Server Control - CrystalReportViewer render the contents of a file that is part of the file system?

That is, can I load the contents of a PDF or other type of file into the CrystalReportViewer and have it display it's contents without the PDF being part of the CrystalEnterprise Respository or part of the .Net project?

If yes to the above questions, can you point me to some documentation that would give me an idea on how to implement this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lon Vinsel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Good Day Lon,

Crystal viewers can only display Crystal reports, we do not impliment any third party viewers. Example, when you export a report to PDF in the Report Designer and select "Application" as the destination Adobe reader will start up and view the report, with Excel MS Excel will start up.

What you can do is export the report to a local hard drive/folder and then re-direct the local PC to open that file up using the hosting executable ( excel.exe etc. ) This however is considered unmanaged reporting. If you are integrated into BO Enterprise then you would ahve to schedule the report and deliver it via a e-mail server or similar to get it to the lcoal PC.

If you are asking if the Cr Viewers can open any type of file then the answer is no, only RPT files directly.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don,

That's what i thought.

Thanks for the advice.

Answers (0)