cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning on 10 keyfigures

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have unique requirement as it always turns out to be -:)

This is more of a functional question rather than a techie Q.

My user wants to do a planning on per customer basis periodwise for Discounts to be given to each user.

Now there are about 10 different types of Discounts that the customer can avail & the user wants plan separately each of them. This will enable him to see the agggregate figures for each Discount type.

now my concern seems to be whether the performance of the system or the complexity would increase if we consider planning on 10 keyfigures simultaneously. (I am not so sure on this performance aspect.)

Can i go about having this 10 KF for planning ?

or could there be any alternative possible ? i am not able to think any till now, as the user is keen on planning in all the 10 discounts types.

or how would be the approach if put this Discounts types into char ? (cant imagine)

any help is appreciable

Thanks

Ramesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramesh,

I have had similar requirement before on sales application and we chose characteristic approach because in a period a customer would have maximum of 3 to 4 discount types based on eligibility criteria.

But if you think a customer may be eligible for all discount types then i would suggest going with key figure approach.By doing this way you can limit the number of records.

Downside to this is tracking all these key figures when you write any required function.

Hope this helps.

-Raga

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Number of key figures will not really have any major impact on performance - in fact if you take out keyfigure from the lock arguments (which you can do unless you want the system to have capability to allow concurrent planning by two separate users on the same customer, for the same period, on different keyfigures), there should be no difference. The more important factor for performance would be how complex and how big your input query is.

I think you are already familiar with key figure vs account modeling (you can read about it in SAP documentation). You should base the infocube design based on this aspect - if there is only one/two types of discounts planned for each customer, go for account model (use discount type field), and if a customer can have many types of discounts, use the 10 keyfigures.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If discount type characteristic is introduced, the data volume will be more because for each customer and each period, there will be 10 records in the cube. But again if the number of customers or the number of periods (planning horizon) plan data is maintained are limited, we can go with this option.

If you create 10kfs and use keyfigures in lead column approach(if it is BPS), i dont think it gives performance problem. In my opinion, its better to go with 10kf concept. We have done planning for 6kfs, we didnt face any performance issues.