cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Error initialising database engine DB2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am attempting an MDM install on AIX and DB2.

So I have installed MDM 5.5 SP06 Server, Import Server, Syndication Server on the AIX server with DB2 9.1 successfully.

On a Windows server I have installed the DB2 client software, the Console, Import Manager and Syndicator.

The console 'sees' the MDM Server and can query it's status correctly, but I cannot connect to the DB2 database to create a repository.

From the DB2 client on the Windows server I can communicate with the database so it is not connectivity between the servers. Also there are no errors in the logs for the MDS server, which I am querying from the console successfully.

My problem seems to be on the actual AIX server when it communicates with the database. I can see that it is successfully loading the DB2 library when starting the MDS, so it looks to authentication.

Has anyone configured MDS on DB2, I do not think it is an AIX issue, purely DB2.

TIA

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I too faced a similar problem, Kindly have alook whether the database instance is working fine and if you are able to connect it (using host name or ipaddress).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I encountered the same error. The reason is :

The DBMS server field (either when you are updating the DBMS settings or when you are creating or unarchiving a repository) must contain the actual ALIAS of the database (this is the case for DB2 and Oracle - see SAP MDM Console Reference Guide 5.5 SP6 july 31, 2009, page 332), provided Login and Password are correct.

Be aware that DB2 9.5 catalog command (that creates the alias for the database) accepts only ALIASES with less than (or egal to) 8 alphabetic characters.

Messan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Please check the below steps:

1. Install the DB2 Server and restart the system.

2. From the below link Page-43 copy the script file and save it as test.sql on C drive but exclude the first line.

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001119842007E

3. Navigate to Start -> Programs -> IBM DB2 -> DB2COPY1 -> Command Line Tools -> Command Window and execute the following command

C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN>DB2 -TVF C:\test.sql

4. After executing the file, open the Control Center and stop - start DB2 i.e. instance

5. Start the MDM Server from the services.

6. Open the MDM Console and mount the MDM server.

7. Right click on MDM server and select DBMS settings, Enter the Database Alias name and enter the Username as db2admin and password given at the time of DB2 installation.

8. Try creating MDM repository.

Its working fine on my side.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the error, just "initializing the Data base engine", looks like more of a login issue, check the user/role you are using to connect, and the syntax for loginid....At this very first step, it should not be a mds.ini issue, it is still client->Data base logon.(provided you gave the correct id/password parameters for DB in mds.ini though) We use the same environ without much issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sudhir,

I have included my MDS.ini file as I am not convinced my parameters are correct.

In terms of users, db2inst1 is the instance owner and a member of the db2grp1.

I have added the mdm user to the db2 group to allow it access to the database.

I can connect to the database using both mdm and db2inst1

Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Chris

**********************************mds.ini**********************************************

[MDM Server]

Autostart=0

Log Protocol Transactions=False

Lexicon Dir=

MDS Ini Version=1

Accelerator Dir=./Accelerators/

Report Dir=./Reports/

Archive Dir=./Archives/

Log Dir=./Logs/

RELEASE/UseAssert=True

Distribution Root Dir=./Distributions/

CPU Count=1

Wily Instrumentation=False

NCS Library Path=/opt/MDM/

Wily Instrumentation Level=1

Default Interface Language Code=eng

Default Interface Country Code=US

SLD Registration=False

MDS Scone=

Log SQL Modifications=False

Extra DBConnection Validation=True

Maximum DBMS Bind Count=256

IBMDB2 DBA Username=**********************

Allow Console to Retrieve Files=True

Disable Log Retrieval=False

Wily Instrumentation=True

NCS Library Path=/opt/MDM/

Wily Instrumentation Level=1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Please refer to the link which is the installation guide for MDM:

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001119842007E

You can compare the stpes that you have performed with the ones given in the guide.

This might help to understand the solution.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nitin,

I have followed the installation guide, if you read it carefully you will see that there are no steps to actually link the MDS to the database. Even in the configuration guide, there are some steps on how to perform it, but there is nothing on the authentication or credentials.

I need someone who has dealt with DB2 in this instance, there is loads of information regarding Oracle and SQL Server but it is useless to me.

Chris