cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with scheduling reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We produce reports in Crystal XI R2 and then publish to Enterprise. We have noticed a recurring and 'random' error with certain reports

The reports run fine in Crystal and in Infoview when run on demand. However when we chose the schedule option, the report goes through the motions of running ie status = running for a suitable period of time and goes to Sucess. However when we try to open the report the 'blue bar' will go about 50% and then freeze without opening. After that Infoview hanges and we need to restart. This always happens with certain reports but other similar reports schedule fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Clive

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clive,

Do these reports have any subreports in them?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zane,

Yes they do. In general they are top level reports that decide certain criteria and then run a sub report. In one case one of 2 and in one case 12.

Cheers

Clive

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is the problem Clive. I've had similar experiences that had me baffled. Whenever you attempt to open the successfully scheduled report, the subreport is run. Therefore you will have to wait for the subreports to complete before the report opens. Sometimes this took hours, leaving me to think that it froze. But it usually eventually comes up. With each page you go through, the subreport is run again and again. This is very annoying.

I would try modifying the type of subreports I use. Try the report with "On Demand" subreport and "In Place" subreport. See which one gives you better performance. I usually only use subreports for 1 page summary reports. Other than that they take too long. I've had reports that I've redone because the subreport version takes too long.

It is much easier to run these reports on demand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Zane - good to know it's not just me

Cheers

Clive

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI - i need some help - our crystal expert has left and we have a number of reports that are scheduled that we now need to amend and also some new ones to add. We have tried to add new reports using Business Objects 11 but for some reason they dont run.

Please can someone help?

thanks