cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging Java Mappings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to debug a Java mapping. While I know how to debug Java mappings locally (e.g. by adding a main() method), I'm looking for a possibility to debug the mapping when it is executed by the integration builder. What I'd like to do is to connect an external debug tool (e.g. eclipse) to the JVM that executes the Java mapping.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If not, can anyone explain to me in detail how Java mappings are executed on the integration server (e.g. is a new JVM started when a Java mapping needs to be executed? If yes, where does this happen? If not, are java mappings executed by the J2EE engine? Which EJB triggers the execution etc.)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Christian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member192295
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Most of the time java code debugging in out side only, XI point of view we can do in mapping test window

ceedee666
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

I know that XI mappings can be tested in the mapping test window. However, what I really would need is to execute a java mapping (e.g. by using the mapping test window) and then connect to the JVM executing this mapping in order to debug its execution step by step (i.e. step inside methods, inspect variable values etc.).

This is easily possible if the JVM is started with the right parameters. So the first thin I tried was to execute the Integration Builder (IB) in Java Webstart using these parameter and connected to it using the eclipse debugger. However, debugging a mapping was not possible that why as even starting a mapping in th IB mapping test window executes the mapping on the server.

So what I need to know is how are Java mappings executed on teh server in order to connect te debugger to the JVM executing the mapping on the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

I know there is a way to activate debugging at the J2EE level but I can't remember exactly how (maybe a note exists with a how-to), but in order to debug a "plain" XI mapping (bug ?), I suggest adding a debugging framework to your mapping (ie, providing methods to output values, current step etc in the message mapping output window) ...

Personnally, I've created a core class with a couple of static methods used to dump different types of java objects in this windows (strings, arrays, comments, etc), it makes life easier

Chris

ceedee666
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I found a way to debug Java mappings using NW Dev Studio.

A detailed description of the approach is available here:

Christian