Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Two BW systems - one partition/server. How do you divide the resources?

Hi.

We installed a BW DEV system onto a partition of an IBM p570. Roughly 22 GB RAM allocated and plenty disk. Everything was running smoothely until we decided to install a BW QA system on the same partition. Ever since then, the DEV system has become very unstable and hangs and then crashes on a frequent basis. On inspecting the trace/log files, we can see obvious messages about the system running out of SWAP space and then halting sessions/processes. My understanding of the situation is that, when DEV was installed, it obviously "believed" that the 22 GB of memory was exclusively available to it and, now that QA is trying to run and grab resource, the DEV is somehow complaining that it doesn't have the resource that it believes it SHOULD have (in layman's terms).

My question is, in order to get BOTH the systems running optimally (i.e. DEV and QA), what parameters do I need to change/force in order for each of the systems to believe that it now only has 11 GB of memory available? I can only think of checking memory-related parms in the config tool (heap memory, etc.), the PHYS_MEM_SIZE and j2ee/phy_mem_size in the instance profile and then one or two Oracle specific parameters around DB_CACHE_SIZE and SHARED_POOL_SIZE. There are, however, lots of other parameters, e.g. em* parameters, that I can see in the active list (TU02) that appear to be memory related, but I don't know if it is necessary to change these values, or whether they are dynamic.

The two BW systems are ABAP/JAVA combinations (NW2004s) on AIX 5.3 / Oracle 10.2.0.2.

Thanks in advance!

Des.

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question