cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIR3 clustering - is this enough?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I am clustering my XIR3 servers. I am going to install Server 1 using the Expand, choosing "Yes this is the first CMS in the deployment", then install an Expand on Server 2 "chossing "No cluster this CMS with an existing CMS".

I'm assuming that's enough to setup the clustering? I don't need to configure the web.xml do I?

I ask because references are made to p266 of the Admin guide yet the information was not entirely clear to me and you also need to refer to the install guide for a fresh install - there doesn't appear to be a working example!

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can install Server1 using normal installation, then install server 2 using Custom/Expand specifying "No cluster this CMS with an existing CMS".

You will need to edit web.xml file for InfoViewApp.war to include cluster information.

By default web.xml file on Server1 will have only Server1 name in it as system to which to login and on server2 (if you deploy to app server there as well) it will have server2 name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So I would need to register both CMSs on the web.xml file for InfoviewApp.war and CmcApp.war on both servers?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, but just for InfoViewApp.war, putting it in CmcApp.war will make no difference.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reponses Denis. One thing though - it says in the web.xml file...

"Alternatively, these parameters may be put in a file called "clusters.properties" which should be placed in the WEB-INF/classes directory. The parameters in this file should be stored in the normal .properties format, i.e. one "<name>=<value> pair per line. If this file exists,the settings in web.xml will be ignored entirely."

Is this old information or is it still valid? By the sounds of it we should be altering just the information in the cluster.properties file?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Personaly, I have never used cluster.properties file - I always just populate web.xml with cluster information according to the sample in it.

In your example it'll lokk like this :

<context-param>

<param-name>cms.clusters</param-name>

<param-value>@mycluster</param-value>

</context-param>

<context-param>

<param-name>cms.clusters.mycluster</param-name>

<param-value>server1:6400, server2:6400</param-value>

</context-param>

Former Member
0 Kudos

So the web.xml allows the InfoviewApp to recognise the cluster, but how does the Desktop Intelligence get configured to recognise the clustering? Does something need to be done there?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

web.xml configuration will just allow you to use @clustername at login time, once logged in Infoview will get cluster information from CMS DB if it needs it.

For Deski - once you have logged in onto cluster for the first time, registry will be updated with cluster information and cluster members.

Answers (0)