Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Completion in new IDE

CarstenKasper
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question regarding the new ABAP IDE.

When I type ABAP code in the workbench there is this great new feature of auto completion.

Example:

I type: SELECT *

Then press CTRL+SPACE

Now there is this overlay menu coming up.

Is there any possibility to get this to work for (own) classes as well? Say have a real intellisense as in nearly every other IDE.

I suppose there has to be some customizing for it somewhere as the values have to come into the overlay menu.

Any pointers are highly appreciated as the missing auto completion really is slowing down my work. ABAP OO can be a pain in ***.

Oh before I forget: I do not mean the code patterns. I know how to edit those.

cheers Carsten

Edited by: Carsten Kasper on Sep 10, 2008 11:24 AM

7 REPLIES 7

CarstenKasper
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Im am still interested

0 Kudos

in the abap editor,

in the lower right corner there is a little yellow button, there you have the auto-complete options...

regards

Edited by: Sebastian Bustamante on Oct 6, 2008 5:39 PM

0 Kudos

Hi,

nope that is explicitly not what I meant. As pointed out I know about this button and the functionality is not there.

It is true, there are options how the auto completion behaves. What I want is to know where it is defined what gets auto completed.

Why is a "SELECT * " autocompleted? Where is this defined?

Example:

When I type: SELECT *

and press CTRL+SPACE I get an overlay menu offering me different choices how to go on. A lot like intellisense known from microsoft and a lot of other IDEs.

cheers Carsten

0 Kudos

I think what you are seeing are some of the pieces of the code completion which will be delivered in NW 7.0 Enhancement Pack 2. In this EP, you will get FULL code completion, for all kinds of development objects. In NW 7.00 and 7.01, some of the components are there, and will popup from time to time, but the full code completion will only come with 7.02.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Do you know a little bit more: What are those components? Can I get access to them?

I want to check if I can use them for my own classes. I am really tired of typing 20char method names. That the functionality might come with NW 7.0x is not going to help me... we are on 7.00 and this will be a while.

cheers Carsten

0 Kudos

Once you apply the enhancement pack 2, which is due out sometime next year, you will be able to take full advantage of the code completion. This includes standard and non-stand objects, such as class/methods, function modules, data dictionary objects, etc. Again, you of course will be able to use this functionality when working with custom "Z" objects.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

CarstenKasper
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello again,

before everyone heads off to the weekend, maybe there is some good news for me 😃

cheers Carsten