cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Creation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PM Experts,

when you try to create a BOM for an Equipment in the particular screen IB01, we have the option of either copying the BOM from a material or from another Equipment. Also we can create it as a Variant of another Equipment. Can any one tell me the difference between copying a BOM and creating as a Variant with the related implications.

Cheers

Deepal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not answered

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepal,

The term "variant" refers to changes to the basic model of a product. These changes occur when components are left out or added.

If you are producing several similar products that have a lot of common parts, you can describe these products using a variant BOM. This is the case, for example, if you replace one material component with another to make a different product. Variants can also differ by containing different quantities of a component. You create the new BOM as a

Copy of Equipment BOM means duplication of same BOM for othen equipment.

I think this will answer your query

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think I can give you an example of using variant BOM in PM.

A drilling machine in mining that I know is separated in modules. The BOM would be equipment BOM and because these are sold with the option of having drill steel lenght 2.7m and 3.2m the whole front drilling module is changed. The two varins would be once with 2.7 and once with 3.2 meters booms and the original BOM would have both options. Also you have the option to have the standard compressor a bit more powerful one and having none, that could also be done with varians.

Another one could be a pumping station (FL) with variants with two small pumps or one biger.

In that way of thinking you could have many usages of variant BOM.

Regards

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hristo Zumpalov,

Yes, but can you see and use these BOM Variants from the order ??

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for your answers. But my question is, How does the behavior in BOM s changes between the scenarios of copying from Material/Equipment BOM and copying as Varient.

Ex.

I have three equipments A, B and C. A already has a BOM. In creating BOM for B, I copy the BOM from A in T-Code IB01 using the command button Copy Equipment BOM(F7). For C in the same window I select command button Create Varient of (F9) and provide the equipment id A. So a varient of A is created as BOM of B.

How does the behavior of BOM of B and C change in SAP?

Tell me which functionalities are affected in SAP with this difference in BOM patterns?

Cheers

Deepal

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depal,

AD is referring to [configurable BOMs|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/ea/e9b81a4c7211d189520000e829fbbd/frameset.htm]

I think your question relates to [BOM variants|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/ea/e9b0cd4c7211d189520000e829fbbd/content.htm] which, as far as I know, are not usable in PM or CS.

I would certainly like to know if this is not true...

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

I was talking about Variant BOM's not Configurable BOM's.

As in variants the BOM picks different materials depending on the equipment you attach it with. And this selection is done on the basis of class and characteristics.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks,

AD.

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AD,

This is configurable BOMs using Variant Configuration (VC).

Its not the same as Alternative BOMs or BOM Variants

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepal,

If you copy a Floc BOM or Equip BOM then it'll be a replica of the parent BOM.

If you create a variant BOM then you can enter characteristics to the equipment and depending on these characteristics, the materials in the BOM will be picked up. Here you'll have to create super BOM and put characteristic dependent materials.

U'll have to put characteristics in the equipment master record.

The procedure will be like this:

1. reate a material master record.

2. Create a BOM which contains all the materials for the variants to be displayed (super BOM) for this material.

3. Assign object dependecies to the BOM items that should be controlled by specific variants.

4. Create a class in the class system (ex. motors).

5. Assign characteristics to the class (ex. characteristics type)

6. Create a configuration profile for the material that links class with material. This converts the material into a configurable material.

Thanks,

AD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi AD,

Thanks for the reply. But I'd appreciate if you could explain a little bit more.

Cheers

Deepal