Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In BI 7,in loading point of view what is the difference

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All

In BI 7,in loading point of view

Upto the first level(upto PSA) we use infopackage and from that layer onwards we use DTP's.

My question is why do we want to use DTPs there? Why cant we use infopackage only?

What is the advantage by using this DTPs for loading the data within BI

Please let me know in this regard

Many Thanks

Swami

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

desgallagher
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swami,

Although not recommended you can still use infopackages if you want in BI 7.x. The introduction of the DTP was to overcome some disadvantages of using infopackages up to and including release 3.x to load the data targets (especially with datamarts where one infopackage loads several data targets,

if something goes wrong with the load to one of these data targets then it can be very difficult to correct).

This section contains some arguments in brief why the DTP was introduced with BI 7.0 :

Transfer from one source to one target

BW 3.X

One InfoPackage / Request supplies data for several data targets

Fixed sequence of steps (DataSource / transfer rules / update rules / data target)

Fixed source type: Combination DataSource/source system

Fixed target type: Cube or ODS object or master data

No init selection for extraction from infoprovider

One request can produce several error requests, depending on the data targets

No error handling into ODS Objects

Delta management

BI 3.X: The Receiver for DataSources is merely a logical system, which makes it impossible to have a separate delta management for several data targets within

one system

BI 7.0

Data Transfer Process transports data from one data source to one data target; new source and target types can easily be defined

Arbitrary number of steps (filter objects/transformations) between two persistent objects

Init selection available

Request produces error records stored in generic error stack

Error handling into ODS Objects possible

Resume from persistent buffer

Delta management

BI 7.0: The delta management is maintained by the data transfer process which connects arbitrary sources and targets

I hope the above helps.

Des.