cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using OPS$ user mechanism from SAP/Windows connecting to Oracle/AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have an SAP Central Instance located on a Windows 2003 server that connects to an Oracle 10.2 database on AIX.

All is working fine with work processes doing direct logon as "Connect sapr3/sap<sid>". However, I would like to use the OPS$ mechanism for connection instead.

I reviewed Note 400241 and created and tested an OPS$sidadm user. However, I am wondering if the work processes are trying to connect via the SAPServiceSID user and that is why my OPS$ authentication is not working.

Can someone tell me what user my Windows work processes are using to connect to the Oracle database on AIX? My AIX system only supports usernames up to 8 characters. If the work processes are running under SAPServiceSID (which is what my SAP service is running under), then is it even possible to use the OPS$ mechanism given the 8 character username limitation?

Thanks much for your help!! --Julie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Note 680617 was very helpful. It indicates that Windows is connecting to the Oracle AIX database via the SAPServiceSID account and that I need to create a corresponding OPS$SAPSERVICESID account in the database.

However, doesn't that inherently mean that I need an AIX os user called SAPSERVICESID as well? If so I cannot create the OS account because I am limited to eight characters.

Sounds like it can't be done. What do you think?

Thanks Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julie,

You don't need to create the user at AIX level, you only need to create the user and db objects within oracle.

Cheers

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando, Great. Thanks. I'll give it a try. --Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for your quick resposne. I read about the OPS$<domain>\<os_user> in Note 400241, but it only seems to apply if the Oracle database is on Windows. My database is on AIX.

Is there a way to determine which os user is making the connection? Note 400241 says that sidadm is used in Unix and and SAPServiceSID in used in Windows. However, it is not clear with this being a heterogeneous enviornment. Thanks Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julie,

Have you created OPS$<domain>\SAPservice<SID> using note 400241 and observe the connection behaviour?

BTW can you please attach R3trans -d result after user creation?

One thing you must be aware.... when you change SAPR3 password you must synchronize SAPUSER tables, i.e., SAPUSER table entries from OPS$<sid>adm and OPS$<domain>\SAPservice<SID> should be the same.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julie,

I found a SAP note very useful... 680617. I think you'll find the final solution.

cheers