Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Problem with Material Variant Type Matching

Hello all,

At my company we would like to have a configurable material that can have changes to the BOM/pricing depending on the sales order customer number.

I have defined a reference characteristic to store the customer number (VBAK-KUNNR) and attached to the class. The customer number is now automatically being copied into the value for this reference characteristic. Unfortunately, when the user completes the configuration the Material Variants are no longer found because the customer number characteristic is not matching.

Is there any way to make the Material Variant Type Matching to ignore my reference characteristic when searching for matches? The Material Variants we have are valid for all customers. Is it possible to supply a wildcard for the customer characteristic value? I tried to find some User Exit to modify how the Type Matching works but I cannot find anything that would allow me to block a characteristic from the selection criteria.

Any Ideas on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Bellas

SAP Analyst

ProMinent Fluid Controls

Former Member
Former Member replied

Report RCU_EXCL_CHARACTERISTICS

Select the "Types" column for the characteristics to be excluded in variant matching.

Can be excluded per configurable material or at a characteristic level.

Table cabn_excl is where the values are stored

or SMOD exit CLSC0001

Function EXIT_SAPLCLSC_001

Manipulate the result of the selection or redo the variant match search with different criteria

Note: read the documentation in transaction SMOD for warnings on using this exit. Function called from 60+ (?) places.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question