cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPT encryption

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all!

I would like to distribute an encrypted RPT to a client. I do not want to deliver an "open" RPT - where they can modify formulas, tweak parameters, or rearrange groupings. Just run the RPT and get results. Is there an easy way to do this?

many thanks,

beth carpenter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all:

I tried the "lock" function, and it works, but not to the extent that I need. It looks like with the report locked, the coding and formulas can still be seen and I want those to be hidden. If at all possible, I want to protect my intellectual capital. The best scenario is if the "read only" could be "locked". Would that be possible, or do I have to wrap a VB executable around the RPT?

many thanks,

bc

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Beth,

You won't be able to prevent users from seeing the formulas and all in the report with the options available in CR. You could however export the report to a different format such as Excel and PDF to distribute it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the clarification. Are you aware of any third party products that will encapsulate an RPT? We can talk offline if you wish. I am not seeing much on the net. My client will be running custom queries to collect infrastructural data which will then be deposited in a data repository. The report will not change, but the data will. So the issue is not the delivery of the data results, but the protection of the logic behind the complex formulas. Thank you for your attention into this matter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! I will try the "lock" option. I am a pretty heavy user of earlier versions of Crystal, but did not recall seeing any sort of "lock" feature. I am using Crystal 2008. A friend of mine told me that I would have to wrap the report in a VB exe, Your way sounds easier and I will give it a shot.

thanks again,

bc

Former Member
0 Kudos

The "Save Lock Report Design" option is only available in Report Options in CR2008 (XI-R3) so if you are using an earlier version that option will not appear.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can go to File | Report Options and mark "Read Only" but if the user is opening the report in Crystal Reports they can always go in and unmark it.

Why not simply provide the report in PDF format to the user?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beth

One easy way to achieve this is as follows:

You can go to File>>Report Options and check the Save Lock Report Design check box.You will be asked for a password.

And then at the run time if an user makes any changes and tries to 'Save' the report then he/she will be prompted for a password.

Even if the user tries to uncheck the checkbox,he/she will be prompted for a password.So, again the report remains protected.

Without a valid password the changes will not be effective.