cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 objects back to R2

0 Kudos

We have done a lot of work on XI R3 at our dev shop. Unfortunately our customer has now gone and spent a lot of money on XI R2 due to a misunderstanding. They are reluctant to spend additional money to upgrade to R3

Is there any way to port some of the universes and reports back to R2?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not believe such ability exist in the product.

0 Kudos

The Universe Designer has a very good COM object model, and I have managed to extract the universe objects into xml, and then back into the other side

My problem is porting the webi reports, as there seems to be no API to access the report definitions - or is there a way?

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
"The Universe Designer has a very good COM object model, and I have managed to extract the universe objects into xml, and then back into the other side"

You shouldn't have been able to do this, so the universe that was saved as 3.0 now works in XIR2? You can create and refresh reports off of it? I'd be curious to know how, maybe it will give us some ideas.

"My problem is porting the webi reports, as there seems to be no API to access the report definitions - or is there a way?"

As Denis said "at this time this is not a supported or tested workflow", but let us know about the universe and maybe there's something we can think up.

Regards,

Tim

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I'm assuming you've used the Universe Designer SDK to extract your own Universe metadata, then used XI Release 2 Universe Designer SDK to recreate the Universe on the XI Release 2 system.

That's pretty straightforward, as long as you're keeping the same database connection.

One possibly major problem I see with the above - if I'm assuming correctly - is that all the IDs for the Universe Objects would have changed, so you'd have major problems porting Web Intelligence documents back without some nasty re-linking to the new Universe Objects.

So I'm assuming that what you'd want to do is re-create the Web Intelligence documents across the version like you've done for the Universes - i.e., read the document blocks and query structure, and recreate it across to the other deployment.

To do so would require use of the ReportEngine Java (REBean) SDK. This is documented here:

[http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/en/RE_SDK/default.htm]

Note that only the Java version has report creation/modification functionality required - the RE.NET does not.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

0 Kudos

I used the COM API of the R3 Universe Designer tool to load a universe, run through the COM objects representing all the objects, tables, classes, joins, etc, and create an xml file representing the universe.

On R2 I use the COM API of the R2 Universe Designer, and reconstruct the universe through the object model

However I do not know of a way to query the structure of WebI reports to deconstruct / reconstruct them programatically

Answers (0)