Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update database table

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have 1 million records in application server and I want to update database table from that.

Is UPDATE statement the best technique to do it.

Just wanted to know if there is any other better tehcniques.

Also i want to write the errors to job log. How can we do that?

Regards,

DNP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using dataset concept, read the data and use UPDATE command to insert the data to table....If any error occurs move the record to error message internal table for display purpose...

UPDATE means, will insert if no record found and if record found will update the entry...

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using dataset concept, read the data and use UPDATE command to insert the data to table....If any error occurs move the record to error message internal table for display purpose...

UPDATE means, will insert if no record found and if record found will update the entry...

Former Member
0 Kudos

If they are all new records or all changes, it would be best to use INSERT or UPDATE. You will also want to do mass inserts/changes using an internal table. Since you have so many records, you will probably have to do this in chunks in order to avoid dumping on the rollback area.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why dont you try with LSMW ? Instead of using UPDATE method.

0 Kudos

Using LSMW is very slow. It's taking long time. Also, I have to perform few checks(of duplicate entry) along with Update.

Regards,

DNP

0 Kudos

This is a custom Z table - correct?

Rob

0 Kudos

Yes, It is a Z custom table.

Regards,

DNP

0 Kudos

Data all ready in Application server mean better way using DATASET concept.

Regards,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

finally decide to go with UPDATE statement