cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create connection to Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have a problem when trying to connect our newly installed XI3 environment to Oracle.

We have BO XI3.0 installed on a 64bit Windows 2003 R2 Server (Standard x64 Edition Service Pack 2). On this Server we have also installed an Oracle 11.1.0 Client - which we need to be able to connect to our Oracle 9 DB.

When we from Designer try to create a connection via Oracle 11 Client we get following error:

The server is not responding (SBO0001):

CS: DBDriver failed to load : C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\dataAccess\connectionServer\dbd_oci.dll(%1 is not a valid Win32 application.)

..We get the same error if we try via the Oracle 9 Client connection option

Any suggestions much appreciated

thx.

/J.I.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi J.I

See post [; for some info that may be helpful...

and are you able to connect with SQL Plus or a TNSPING?

Hope this helps

Jacques

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacques

Thanks for your answer - Yes we can TSNPING the server and SQL-Plus works fine ...however both "Net Configuration Assistant" and Net Manager does not seem to function on the 64-bit environment as well.

When we try to connect via the 32bit ODBC we now get following error:

DBD: [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-06413: Connection not open - any suggestions? (I'll search the Oracle forum as well)

/JI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacques

We have now installed the "native" Oracle ODBC 9.2 driver. From Windows\SysWoW64\odbcad32.exe we can create and succesfully test a connection to the Oracle DB. But when we in Designer (XI3) then try to create a new connection via Generic ODBC to the SystemDSN created, we get the:

ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name

error.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

/J.I.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi J.I

You should be able to install the Oracle Client (32bit) on the x64 server and get it to connect. The Oracle Client then also needs to be installed on the client machines using the same TNSNAMES.ora file.

I'm not sure if you will come right with the method you are trying at the moment.

Jacques

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello

I have had similar problem which I have solved. Here is the full procedure how to make BO working with Oracle

1.download Instant Oracle - can by found here http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html

It might be "Instant Client Package - Basic Lite" for example

2.unpack it to some folder (e.g. "C:\Oracle\drivers")

3. make above being usable - this is : add C:\Oracle\drivers to PATH environment variable (e.g in System properteies-> Advanced->Environment Variables)

From that point you wont get an error when defining connection in BO via Create new connection-> oracle->Oracle10->Oracle Client

What is left you have also to do is creating tnsnames.ora file and making it visible in BO. So :

4.create tnsnames.ora file (or copy it) wth definition of all databases you want to have access to. E.g with entry :

BISE1DB =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.123.100)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = bise1db)

)

)

for BISE1DB database connection - here adress is local but can by global,or computer name

5.Find some location where it will reside : you can create "Oracle-like" structure, so you might create c:\oracle\network\admin and put file there - path no matters,but it must be equal to the one which will be set in point 6

6. create following Envionrment variables (the same way like in point 3)

SQL_PATH=C:\oracle

TNS_ADMIN=c:\oracle\network\admin (the one you put file to in point 5)

7. type BISE1DB as service when defining Oracle Client and voila - enjoy !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just trying this out myself and I would like more detail on the location of System properteies-> Advanced->Environment Variables as I am unclear about the location of this.

Kind Regards.

Simon