cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using output from a stored procedure/select statement as a parameter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm 90% sure this isn't possible, as I haven't been able to find information about it anywhere, but this is what I'm trying to accomplish:

I'm re-configuring standard reports for use in a new, read-only and static (read: is about 5 minutes out of date) environment, and the way we save reports is via a header, containing information specific to that report. I want to use two data sources - the first to retrieve the saved header information from the transactional database, the second to use the output from this to drive the connection to the read-only, reporting database. I know it's possible via parameters, however I would like not to have to expose the reporting controls as it makes them only too easy to fake, and I know it is also possible, as we are developing in .NET, to build a custom data-set and then base the report of this.

At the moment I am favoring the latter approach however does anyone know if it is possible to use output as parameters? Or if there is another, more elegant solution to this problem?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kyle_mcadam
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Can you please be more specific? Are you wanting this to take place within the report itself? If so, are you are trying to use one result set of data to decide on which connection to use in the second connection, or is it that you are trying to use one set of data to decide which query to use on a connection? In the report itself, to change a connection dynamically is much more difficult than to change a query dynamically.

In code, it may be much more simple to dynamically change connections, but if the question is how to do it in code(application), you should post the question to that group.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahh sorry when I said "drive the connection", I was referring to using the output of the first data source as parameters in the second data source's query. Yes, I am hoping that this can be achieved within the report itself. So, it's not really anything to do with the connection (the connection info will stay static), but the actual parameters used in that query.

Regards, Jonathan